CMU inventors and/or researchers
We provide a number of services to the research community at Carnegie Mellon University. One of the most visible services we offer is licensing the new technologies faculty and staff develop. This results in benefits to the inventors, the university and society in general.
If you have an invention and would like to begin working with CTTEC, we encourage you to start with the invention disclosure process.
Let's Get Started
1. Download and complete the appropriate form
- The Invention Disclosure Form [pdf] [docx]
- Open Source/App Invention Disclosure form [pdf] [docx]
- Material Transfer Disclosure Form [pdf]
- Disclosure of Intellectual Property Created (including Deliverables) while Performing Work Under Master Sponsored Research Agreement [pdf] [docx]
2. Email it to CTTEC [innovation (at) cmu (dot) edu]
What to expect Next
Once we receive the information, your department's licensing manager will get in touch with you.
Additional activities include:
- Evaluating the commercial potential and patentability of new technologies
- Managing the intellectual property protection process
- Marketing and licensing patents, materials, software, and other technologies
- Providing guidance on open source software licensing
- Receiving and distributing royalties and other income to inventors and Carnegie Mellon schools and departments
Other important services provided to the research community include: