Housing & Dining
The extraordinary times of living through a pandemic call for our heightened commitment to prioritizing our community’s health and safety as we work to mitigate coronavirus spread in our facilities and on campus.
Summer 2021 housing will be available for Carnegie Mellon students who have an academic need to be on campus this summer and who require housing for a period equivalent to a summer school session or the full summer. Learn more about summer housing at CMU.
Fall 2021 Housing Plans & Considerations
The planned approach for housing in academic year 2021-2022 is an optimistic one, with conditions much closer to what our residents experienced prior to the pandemic. We have based our approach on the current assumption that, by the summer months, vaccine availability will be plentiful and the prevalence of the virus and any variants will have partially subsided.
Read these CMU Housing COVID-19 Planning FAQs about fall 2021 based on what we currently know and can presume. As conditions evolve, we will evaluate and update our plans and communicate periodic updates with residential students planning to live in our house communities.
Please visit the Housing & Residential Education website for more information.
(Video released in Fall 2020)
Dining Services has refined its offerings and meal plan options to align with evolving health and safety conditions. First-year students living in university housing will be expected to maintain a meal plan to support a successful transition to college life.
Further details regarding dining plans and evolving health and safety measures can be found on the Dining Services website.
Dining Services is adhering to the following health and safety protocols at its dining locations:
- Dining rooms are set to limit occupancy and provide a minimum of 6 feet (2 meters) of space between tables and chairs.
- All food service staff and guests are required to wear facial coverings in all public spaces unless they are seated at a physically distanced dining table.
- Hand sanitizer is available at each location.
- Personnel adhere to strict guidelines for handwashing, personal hygiene, cleaning, sanitizing and food safety practices. High-touch areas are cleaned and sanitized every 30 minutes.
- All beverages, including refills, are served in single-use, disposable cups. The use of personal reusable cups for beverages or refills, including the ScottySIPS Mug and water flasks, are not permitted.
- All dining locations use single-use, disposable plates, flatware and take-away containers.
- All dining concepts/stations are full-service. Food is served to guests by an associate, including in all-you-care-to-eat dining locations.
- Self-service items are kept behind counters whenever possible. These items are distributed by the food service staff at the time of purchase, including cups, lids, coffee creamers and stir sticks to minimize contact.
- The use of pagers for order pick-ups is discontinued, until further notice.
- Carrying trays have been removed from the operations.
- Only pre-packed or wrapped utensils are used or utensil dispensers are in place that dispense one utensil at a time.
- Catering is completely contactless via full-service buffets with plexiglass barriers between the attendant and guests.