Returning to Campus Strategy
Starting in the spring of 2020, leaders from across CMU’s academic and administrative units collaborated on a comprehensive, phased strategy for returning to on-campus activities. One of the hallmarks of this approach is to remain flexible as the pandemic continues to surge.
They considered every dimension of operations in the context of these phases, using a very deliberate approach and established principles that are still guiding decision making at this crucial time:
- Adhere to government health and safety requirements and guidance (federal, state and local);
- Pursue a phased and piloted approach to reopening; improve processes based on research and learning from pilots;
- Maintain excellence across our education and research missions, whether they are delivered in-person, through a remote platform or a hybrid modality;
- Support a high-quality student experience; and
- Identify novel educational approaches, such as creative curricula and pedagogy, and technology-enhanced teaching and learning.
Note: Anyone returning to on-site work must first receive university approval.