Ongoing Asymptomatic Testing
Currently, the university is conducting ongoing COVID-19 asymptomatic testing — an important component of the university’s strategy to detect COVID-19 in our Pittsburgh community and prevent community spread. Each week we are identifying a random sample of between 5-10% of enrolled students engaging in any on-campus or CMU-related activities such as in-person instruction, research and campus life to participate in testing.
How To Schedule Your Testing Appointment
You will select a testing appointment through the HealthConnect portal.
- Select "Forms" and read/approve treatment agreement (note: not “Consent Forms” or “Survey Forms”)
- Select "Treatment Agreement Form 2020"
- Please read it and indicate if you agree at the end.
The Treatment Agreement gives UHS permission to communicate with the Division of Student Affairs in the event your test result is positive so we may provide support and protect the broader community.
- Select “Appointments”
- “Schedule an appointment”
- Select “ COVID-19 Asymptomatic Testing”
- “Continue” to select your appointment time
How the Testing is Conducted
University Health Services has partnered with STAT nursing services to conduct a PCR test using a nasal swab (Anterior Nares) collection. Students will self-administer the swab collection on site and under the guidance and instruction of healthcare professionals. Testing site staff will wear required personal protective gear and practice safe medical protocols consistent with public health and CDC guidelines for this type of testing. Students are required to wear a face covering/mask throughout the testing process, except during nasal swab collection where they will be asked to lower the mask below the nose.
Testing appointments will take approximately 15 minutes. However, during high volume testing periods, the process may take longer. Additionally, unexpected delays may occur (e.g., inclement weather, etc.). We appreciate your support and patience with this very important testing process.
What To Expect At Your Appointment
- Please bring your student ID or government-issued ID with you to the test site.
- Just before you are called to a check-in table, click “Appointments” in the HealthConnect menu and select today’s appointment to pull up your personal QR code. It is important to wait until just prior to approaching the check-in table so the original QR code is active (we cannot scan a download or screenshot).You will be provided a test kit and a healthcare professional will guide you through self-administering the nasal swab.
- All students, staff and health care workers will be wearing facial coverings and physically distanced from one another at all times.
Remember to practice CDC recommended hygiene practices after you complete your test appointment.
Receiving Your Results
Results will be processed by Quest Laboratories and are anticipated to be returned approximately 2-4 days after test administration.
If You Have a Negative COVID-19 Test Result: You will receive a text message instructing you to log on to Health Connect to view the result.
If You Have a Positive COVID-19 Test Result: You will receive a text message instructing you to log on to Health Connect to view the result. A healthcare practitioner from University Health Services will also call you to provide instruction on how to monitor your health, isolate from others, and initiate contact tracing.