Carnegie Mellon University

COVID-19 Updates

Information and resources for the CMU community

tartans all in everywhere

International Student Information

For international students who will be engaged in their courses remotely from outside the U.S.:

If you plan on taking courses remotely from outside the U.S., then a U.S. immigration status or U.S. visa is not required.

For F-1 students who will be in the U.S.:

While immigration regulations normally restrict F-1 students to one remote course per semester to count toward the full-time enrollment requirement, the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) guidance issued March 9, 2020 (see also addendum issued March 13) suggests that continuing F-1 students are allowed to engage in more than one remote course. Per federal guidance requirements, the university provided information about hybrid model plans to SEVP to ensure institutional compliance with federal immigration regulations. OIE is actively seeking further clarifications as to how the guidance applies to CMU’s fall 2020 course delivery modes. Once more is known and understood, information will be communicated as quickly and clearly as possible to support well-informed decision-making for students and families. Recent communications and a list of related frequently asked questions can be found on the OIE website.

Note: The U.S. government rescinded the SEVP fall 2020 guidance issued on July 6, largely due to the outpouring of advocacy efforts of many, including CMU’s students, Graduate Student Assembly, leadership and our community, as well as the efforts of OIE staff.

Students may remain in the U.S. and are encouraged not to travel internationally at this time. Students who are considering leaving the U.S. should carefully consider international travel plans as online access to courses may be limited. Additionally, with a rapidly evolving global situation, students who elect to leave the U.S. may not be able to reenter at the time they wish to return, which could impact future immigration benefits. Students in F-1 or J-1 status should consult their OIE advisor prior to traveling to discuss potential impacts with respect to their specific immigration situation.

Visit the Office of International Education’s website for their coronavirus FAQs and contact information.