Transfer Files Using SFTP
Follow these steps to use Tectia - Secure File Transfer to connect and transfer files to a remote server:
- Launch Tectia - Secure File Transfer (Start > All Programs > Tectia - Secure File Transfer).
- Select File > Quick Connect. The Connect to Server dialog box is displayed.
- Enter the following:
- Host Name: enter the name or address of the server to which you would like to connect (e.g., unix.andrew.cmu.edu)
- User Name: enter your Andrew UserID
- Click Connect.
- If prompted to verify the Host key, select Proceed with the connection and save the key for future use and then click OK.
- Enter your Andrew account password.
- Click OK. You are now connected.
- If prompted, to Add Profile, enter a profile name and then click Add to Profiles. This will save a shortcut to the connected server. For more information on profiles see User Profiles: Creating & Editing.
- Connect to the server.
- Drag and drop files from your computer (local) to the remote server.
To transfer files from someone's home directory (AFS space) on unix.andrew.cmu.edu:
- Connect to unix.andrew.cmu.edu. For steps see the Connect section.
- Enter the path to the person's home directory in the text field on the "remote" side:
- Drag and drop files from the specified AFS space to the desired location on your computer.
Note: Individuals set access rights for their AFS space. You may or may not have access to read other folders in this space. For more information on access rights, see the AFS Directory Access Rights section of the Unix documentation.
To disconnect from the server:
- Exit any programs running in the terminal session.
- Select File > Disconnect and then click OK.
- Select File > Exit to close Terminal.
Last Updated: 2/28/13