SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition
SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition is used to perform precision 2D and 3D modelling.
The SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition is limited to academic, non-research use on personal computers owned by students or faculty. Due to vendor restrictions, staff are not eligible to use SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition.
The SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition contains on-screen and printing features (Watermarks) that identify files as having been created with the SOLIDWORKS Education Edition. Files created by the SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition may not be used for commercial or research purposes. The Watermark cannot be removed, and will appear on files that were created in a commercial version and are opened in the SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition.
|License||2021-2022, 2020-2021||1 KB||6/2/2021|
Step 1: Prepare
Before installing SOLIDWORKS Educational Edition, please complete the following:
- Visit System Requirements to verify your computer meets the SOLIDWORKS requirements.
- Verify that there is at least 20 GB of available disk space on your hard drive.
- Backup any existing SOLIDWORKS data stored on your machine.
- Uninstall any prior version of SOLIDWORKS.
- Click Download License (sidebar), to download a .zip file with the serial number.
Step 2: Download
Once you've verified your computer's eligibility:
- Visit SOLIDWORKS Community Download Instructions.
- Click Yes for the I already have a Serial Number that starts with 9020 field.
- Select the desired version. Available versions are listed in the Specifications above.
- Select your role from the Please Select one of the following dropdown.
- Click Request Download.
- Accept the agreement.
- Click the Download link to download the SOLIDWORKS Installation Manager.
Step 3: Install
- Follow the prompts to install the SOLIDWORKS Setup with the following options:
- Type of installation: Individual (on this computer)
- Serial Number: Select the components to install, entering the CMU serial number you downloaded in step 1 for each product. Click Change to customize any products.
If you previously installed SOLIDWORKS:
Click Change under Electrical Options and create a new Data Location.
Create a new server name and click Install a new instance of SQL Server.
- Click to accept the terms of the SOLIDWORKS License Agreement.
- Click Download and Install.
- Follow the prompts to complete the install and restart the computer.
Step 4: Activate
- Launch SOLIDWORKS. Follow the prompts to activate the software.
- Click I want to activate my SOLIDWORKS product now.
- Select an option to activate.
Review the questions below for answers to common SOLIDWORKS questions.
When does SOLIDWORKS expire?
Serial numbers are for a limited time period. To view the expiration date of your serial number:
- Open SOLIDWORKS.
- Click the arrow beside the question mark (top right), then choose Show Licenses. The expiration date displays.
Why am I receiving an SQL error upon installation?
If you previously installed SOLIDWORKS, you may receive the following errors during the install:
- The user needs the SQL permission 'CREATE ANY DATABASE'.
- The user needs the SQL permission 'ALTER ANY LOGIN'.
To prevent this error, create a new data location under the Electrical Options (step three above). Create a new server name and select Install a new instance of SQL Server.