ESET Endpoint Security
ESET Endpoint Security offers Mac computers protection against emerging malware threats.
Only university-owned computers are eligible for this software.
|Mac 10.14+||6.10.456.1||144 MB||11/23/2020|
Note: When used with macOS Big Sur 11.0, ESET does not provide firewall protection.
Step 1: Disable Your Firewall (macOS 10.14 or 10.15 only)
Note: If you're using macOS Big Sur (11.0), skip this step and do not disable your firewall. Proceed to Step 2.
Complete this step if you’re using Mojave (10.14) or Catalina (10.15). ESET includes firewall capability on these operating systems, so we recommend disabling your built-in Mac firewall to avoid conflicts.
- Select Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall.
- Click the lock icon, if needed, and enter your computer's username and password.
- Click Turn Off Firewall.
Step 2: Install ESET
- Download the installer.
- Double-click the downloaded installer file.
- Follow the prompts to install, with these options:
- Agree to the Software License Agreement
- Typical Installation Mode
- Disable ESET LiveGrid feedback system
- Enable detection of unwanted applications
- Click Install.
- Enter your computer username and password if prompted and click Install Software.
- Select Close.
- Do one of the following:
- macOS Mojave - restart and then continue to Step 3.
- All other versions - continue directly to Step 3.
Step 3: Privacy Settings
This allows ESET to access user protected data on your Mac.
- Select Apple Menu > System Preferences > Security & Privacy.
- Select the Privacy tab.
- Click the lock and enter your login information.
- Select Full Disk Access from the list.
- Click plus (+), then click ESET Endpoint Security and Open.
- Click Later.
- Click the lock and then close System Preferences.
- Restart your machine for the change to take effect.
ESET needs the firewall Profile for each network you use.
- Select the appropriate Profile for your location when prompted with New network connection detected.
- Home - your home network
- Work - CMU campus network or other permanent work network
- Public - coffee shop, airport, hotel or other public WiFi
- Check Remember Network and click OK. If you connect to multiple networks simultaneously (i.e., wired and wireless), a prompt will appear for each individual network.
Review this section for guidance on upgrading ESET and using over a Virtual Private Network (VPN).
- Open ESET.
- Select Update (left) then click Update modules. The software will check and install available updates.
If you're experiencing issues with ESET and your VPN:
- Open ESET.
- Select Setup (left) then click Web and Email.
- Click the Setup button next to Web access protection.
- Click the Default button and choose OK to apply the standard settings.
- Close the window.
- Click Protection status (left). Maximum Protection should be enabled.
- Close the application.