Disaster Recovery Services Management
Disaster Recovery Services facilitates the coordination, guidance, and assistance in the creation and ongoing management of:
- Application Records
- Disaster Recovery Planning
- Disaster Recovery Solutions
- Annual Disaster Recovery Exercises
Application Records is a data collection activity that is achieved by leveraging Technology System Descriptions as well as via interview with technology owners and administrators of an Application/IT Service to understand:
- Description of the Application/IT Service and its service availability requirements
- Dependencies that the Application/IT Service has in order to operate (i.e., other Applications/IT Services, Components – Servers, Network Connectivity, Vendor)
- Potential risk impact that the University could experience in the event the Application/IT Service could not recover and restore service within its recovery objective(s).
Disaster Recovery Planning documents the actions and activities that technology teams will execute to:
- Assess and Respond to the impact of a disruption
- Recover and Restore the Application/IT Service within the required recovery objective
- Resume and Validate Application/IT Services to users, mitigating the business impact of a disruption to dependent users of the Application/IT Service.
Three Disaster Recovery Solutions are available:
- High Availability – dedicated machines at both Primary and Secondary Data Centers with load balancing to enable automatic failover.
- Active/Passive – dedicated machines at both Primary and Secondary Data Center with manual intervention required to enable failover.
- Bridged Net Image Restore – dedicated machines at Primary Data Center with virtual machines on reserve at Secondary Data Center with manual intervention required to enable failover.
The Recovery Time Capability (RTC) of an Application/IT Services is calculated based upon the length of time (hours) that it took to execute the Disaster Recovery Plan. The RTC is populated within the Application Record of an Application/IT Service to demonstrate and enable transparency to dependent users if the Application/IT Service meets their recovery requirements.