How To Print to Campus Printers
Follow the steps below for easy printing to one of our many printer locations.
1. Install the Printer Driver/Software
Follow the appropriate steps to install the print driver on your computer.
- Download the driver(s) for the printer you want to use.
- Andrew BW - all public Computing Services printers.
- Andrew Color - CFA & Wean - color printing in CFA, Wean Hall, and select departments.
- Library Color - color printing in Hunt Library, Mellon Institute & E&S Library
- Download both the generic driver and popup software.
- Double-click Popup.dmg.
- Double-click Popup.pkg to install the printer software.
- Follow the onscreen instructions.
Follow the steps in the Print from Linux document.
2. Configure the Software (Mac)
Follow the steps below to configure the software for your Mac computer.
- Select Apple > System Preferences > Printers & Scanners.
- Click + and Add Printer or Scanner.
- Click Advanced. If it is not there, right-click the toolbar and select Customize Toolbar. Drag Advanced onto the toolbar.
- Enter the following on the Advanced tab:
- Click Open and Add.
- Repeat steps 1-5 to add additional printers.
|Locations||Printer Name||Printer Queue/URL|
All - Black and White
3. Print & Release
Follow the steps below to print to a campus printer from a computer lab or your personal computer.
- Select the printer from the print window.
Note: Connect VPN if printing from off-campus.
- Complete the Pharos Popup Print Screen.
- Andrew ID - type one of the following:
- Andrew userID if using your CMU ID card to release your print job
- guest if using Plaid Cash
- Job Password (optional) - enter a password for your print job for added security
- Job Name (optional) - type a name for your print job.
- Andrew ID - type one of the following:
- Go to one of the printer release stations.
- Tap the printer release touchscreen, if necessary.
- Swipe your ID card or Plaid Cash card on the card reader in the direction indicated.
Note: All guest jobs display if you swipe a Plaid Cash card.
- Touch the job on the screen. If there are multiple printers at the location, look at the bottom-right corner of the screen to see where your job will print.
- Touch Print. As soon as you touch Print, the cost is deducted from your quota.
- Enter the password to release the document, if you created one.
- When finished, touch Exit.
Note: Jobs not printed before the expiration time are deleted from the print queue.
FAQ and Troubleshooting
You will find common printing questions and troubleshooting tips below. For information about making photocopies, visit The HUB website.
Is printing available for campus guests?
Yes, see Plaid Cash printing.
Where should I print high-volume or special (glossy paper, color) print jobs?
High brightness coated paper is available for the color laser printer in CFA. If you are using a manual feed to print in CFA, ask the operator for help. The operator will make sure your document is printed on the correct paper. Large print jobs, should be printed at one of the multi-printer sites: Baker Hall 140 corridor, Hunt Reference area, E&S Library or Wean 5200.
How can I tell if a specific Andrew printer is busy?
Visit the Printer Status page for real-time printer status.
What is a Web Station?
Computers that offer on-the-go access to email, a printer or web browser. See the map for locations.
Can I cancel jobs that I no longer wish to print?
Yes, you can cancel jobs that are waiting in your print queue. Swipe your ID card or Plaid Cash card on the card reader at any print station. Select the job you would like to delete and choose the Delete button. Deleted jobs cannot be recovered.
Note: Your print quota is not affected by any print jobs that you delete before pressing Print. Jobs not printed before the expiration time are deleted from the print queue.
What is the cost per sheet?
Refer to the Quota page for price details.
Can I get a refund for a jammed or cancelled job?
Refunds are NOT issued for jammed, defective or cancelled print jobs. However, you may be eligible for a free one-time print job release. Contact Computing Services for more information.
How can I avoid printing blank pages?
When printing web pages, use "Page preview" to ensure that your browser doesn't add a blank page.
I sent a job to the printer, but it doesn't appear in the print queue.
It can take up to two minutes for your job to appear. Check your computer to be sure that the print job was sent to one of the print stations.
Is there a printer location with a manual feed option?
See the steps for using Manual Feed in CFA.
I released my job from the print station, but the document didn't print.
- Check the printer screen to be sure that it is not jammed.
- Verify the printer is connected. See the Printer Status page.
- It may be a problem with the print job. Try again to print again. If the job fails to print, email contact Computing Services.
Will my document print single-sided or double-sided?
Select the two-sided option in the print dialog box to change this. Older print clients will print single-sided by default. Download and install the current print client to print double-sided by default.
I'm having problems printing a PDF file with graphics, multiple layers and fonts.
Open the PDF and select File > Print.
- Select the printer and then select Advanced. Select Print as Image.
The popup client does not appear on my Mac.
Check to make sure you have the latest software/drivers. If you do and are still having problems, reboot your computer and try again.
Still having problems? Make sure your computer is configured correctly:
- Select Apple System Preferences > Users & Groups > Login Options.
- Enter the admin username and password for your computer, if prompted.
- Click Login Options (bottom left side).
- Uncheck Show Fast User Switching (right side).
- Select Apple System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Firewall > Firewall Options > Enable Pharos Popup.
- Select Go > Computer > Hard Drive > Library > Application Support > Pharos > Utilities
- Select the Uninstaller and follow the wizard.
- Re-install the software again.
I am getting errors installing the software, or Windows Defender detected a Virus when installing.
Please run Windows Update to ensure that your computer is up to date and re-run the installer.
Do you have recommendations for securing a network printer?
See the Secure a Network Printer document for guidance.