Prepare your Mailbox for Migration
Large mailboxes can take longer to migrate. You can expedite the migration process by preparing your email for transition.
- Empty your Trash/Deleted Items folder.
- Delete Spam.
- Save large attachments and remove them from the mail message.
- Delete unwanted messages.
Note: Google limits the amount of email data we can transfer. See Google’s Bandwidth Policy for details.
Once you’ve considered the steps to reduce your mailbox size, review the process below.
Step 1: Register for Mail Migration
- Register for migration through the Mail Migration tool
- Select Exchange or G Suite @ CMU based on your preference and department policy
- Continue to use your old mailbox until notified that your new mailbox is ready
Step 2: New Mailbox - Create and Copy
- Creates your new Exchange or G Suite @ CMU mailbox
- Copies mailbox activity while you continue to work in your old mailbox
- Notifies you when the mailbox is ready for you to schedule a cut over date
Step 3: Change Mail Delivery
- Complete the New Mailbox Created/Copied steps.
- Select a date for changing email delivery to your new mailbox (mail messages received in the meantime are copied to both mailboxes)
- Complete setup of your new mailbox following the post migration steps and start using your new mail service to send and receive messages
Step 4: Delete Old Mailbox
- You - confirm that all post migration steps are complete and authorize the deletion of your old mailbox and its contents
- Computing Services - purges messages from your old mailbox and removes the old mailbox from the server