May 04, 2021
Graduation Checklist: 3 Things to Do Before you Graduate
Congratulations, Class of 2021! Remember, your Andrew account will expire after you graduate, so you’ll no longer be able to access CMU resources. Before you leave to begin the next stage of your journey, make sure you move your email, cloud storage files, personal websites and other work to another location.
Complete the three steps below to ensure your tech is ready before you leave Carnegie Mellon University.
1. Transition your Email
- Export your student Google account data – Request access to Google Takeout, then use the tool to export your Google account data including Mail, Calendar, Contacts and Drive, to a downloadable file.
- After you graduate, you'll automatically have access to an alumni email account, @alumni.cmu.edu. Once your account is created, move your Andrew email to your new alumni account using the Alumni Mail Migration tool.
- If you use your Andrew email address to log into any non-university services like social media, banking, or shopping sites, be sure to change your profile to use a personal or alumni email address.
2. Transfer your Files to a Personal Account
- Download files saved to CMU Box or Andrew File System (AFS) and transfer them to a personal account. (Your Google Drive files are downloaded when you use Google Takeout in Step 1.)
- Download any Zoom recordings you want to keep. Note: You can only download recordings from meetings where you were the host.
- Unpublish any personal web pages hosted by CMU and move them to a personal server or another hosting solution.
- Transfer your Adobe Creative Cloud creations from your CMU account to a personal one using Adobe's migration tool.