This page offers helpful tips for printing, in general, as well as information specific to conserving your print quota.
- High brightness coated paper is available for the color laser printer in CFA between 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. on weekdays.
- If you are using a manual feed to print in CFA, ask the CCon for help. CCons will make sure your document is printed on the correct paper.
- If you are printing large jobs, there are four multi-printer sites: Baker Hall 140 Corridor, Hunt Reference Area, E&S Library, and Wean 5200.
- You can store documents in your AFS space or email, then visit a printer location that also has a Web Station and use the Web Station to access and print your document. Web Stations and printers are located together in Doherty Hall, Wean 5200, the UC, and CFA.
- If you experience problems when printing PDF files that contain graphics, different layers or fonts, follow these steps: With the PDF open, select File > Print. Select the printer, click Advanced and then select Print as Image.
Tips and Troubleshooting
- If you get a "SOAP XML" error at a Clusters print release station, please contact the Computing Services Help Center (412-268-HELP or email@example.com) or a Cluster Consultant (CCon) for help. Alternately, you can simply ignore the error and the print job will automatically expire after six hours.
- Avoid paper jams and lost jobs by printing smaller jobs or releasing multiple jobs one at a time.
- Popup for Mac
- On OS X 10.8, if the Popup screen fails to appear, download the Popup Software for Mac 10.8.
- On OS X 10.8, if the Popup screen fails to appear and you have enabled fast user switching, follow these steps to disable it:
- Select System Preferences.
- Select Users & Groups.
- Click the lock and then enter an administrator username and password for your computer.
- On the bottom left side of the window, click Login Options.
- On the right side of the window, uncheck Show Fast User Switching.
Conserve Your Quota
- Your quota is only charged per sheet of paper, so print double-sided when possible. Some applications (such as PowerPoint) are able to print up to six items per page, double-sided.
- Select "Page preview" when printing web pages to ensure your browser doesn’t add a blank page.
Last Updated: 09/12/13