Carnegie Mellon University
Admissions and Transfer students

Admissions and Transfer students

New students

If you are applying to CMU as a new student you must apply to CIT. If accepted, you will have the opportunity to declare Chemical Engineering as your major in the spring semester of your freshman year. Applying to CMU.

External transfer students

You must apply for admission to CIT.

Internal transfer students

Applications for first-year students are accepted after mid-term grades are available for the spring semester. Applications are accepted otherwise after mid-term grades are available for the current semester. A minimum QPA of 2.5 is required. The application must contain the CIT Internal Transfer request, a list of midterm grades, an unofficial transcript from SIO, and students should have completed or be enrolled in 21-122, 09-105 and 06-100. Before submitting the application to the Dean’s office, students should make an appointment with Cindy Vicker to discuss how the transfer will affect their coursework and graduation timeline.