Graduate Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the Chemical Engineering Department at CMU for your graduate studies! In order to apply to our graduate programs, prospective students must have completed a regular four-year degree in chemical engineering, or a related discipline at a recognized university with a better than B average. Master's Degree applicants are accepted and enrolled for both fall and spring starts.
Important Dates & Deadlines
- Fall Admission - The fall application opens on October 1 of the preceding year. The final application deadline for fall admission is January 15, with priority given to applicants who submit by December 15.
- Spring Admission - The spring application will open on July 1 with a deadline of September 15.
- Decision Notifications - Decisions are announced by April 15 for fall admission and November 15 for spring admission.
All applications are submitted online using an online application. The online application is designed to permit you to edit and revise your application until you are satisfied. Once submitted, you can check your application status online, at any time. A completed application includes the following:
- Application Fee of $75
- The Graduate Application https://engineering.cmu.edu/education/graduate-programs/apply.html
- Three letters of recommendation - At least two letters from faculty at your current/recent institution are preferred. For applicants to our research-based programs, at least one letter from someone who has supervised you in a research setting is preferred.
- Uploaded unofficial transcripts - Students who enroll in the program will be instructed to submit hard copy, official transcripts and proof of degree completion before the start of the semester.
- Statement of Purpose
- GRE score report - official scores are required of all applicants.
- TOEFL/IELTS score report - if you are an international applicant and your native language (language spoken from birth) is not English, an official copy of your score report is required. The TOEFL/IELTS requirement cannot be waived for any reason.
Please refrain from mailing hard copies of supporting documents and other documents such as publications or certificates. These items will not be filed with your application and will not be held by the department.