Carnegie Mellon University

Research Opportunities

Undergraduate Research Office (URO) supports student research in every field of study with SURG grants to cover research expenses, Summer Fellowships for full-time summer research, and Presentation Awards to support students presenting at academic conferences. 

DOE Science Undergraduate Laboratory Internships  

Search for Research Experiences for Undergraduates

 Finding a research opportunity on campus:

There is no trick to doing this. You have to go talk to faculty to find research opportunities.

  1. Know what you are looking for and why a particular faculty research group has what you need. 
  2. Be persistent, but respectful. If nothing is available in the current semester, ask about the next semester. Ask if there are literature studies you could help with or graduate students you could work with. The answer may still be no if the group is completely full, but faculty respect genuine enthusiasm and willingness to work and they may be able to find something if you help them know what you are willing to do.
  3. Apply for funding through the Undergraduate Research Office (URO) to work on a project. Most faculty are willing to help you prepare these if you are willing to do it.
  4. Work for credit during the school year.
  5. If you work for credit, you should register for an independent research course in the department where your research advisor is located. You will need to determine, with your advisor, how many units you should sign up for and what their expectations are for you.