Carnegie Mellon University

Joint and Interdisciplinary PhD Programs

Joint PhD

Civil and Environmental Engineering and Engineering and Public Policy

If you are interested in a pursuing a joint degree iyou will need to apply to the PhD program in Civil and Environmental Engineering and/or the PhD program in Engineering and Public Policy (EPP). If you are admitted to and enroll in one of the programs, you will become eligible to apply to the Joint PhD in CEE and EPP after successfully completing one year of your PhD program.

If you are a current student, you must successfully complete one year of your PhD program in EPP or CEE before you are eligible to apply to the Joint PhD in CEE and EPP. Current EPP students will need to submit an application for the PhD program in CEE and must begin the Joint PhD program at least one year prior to their expected graduation date. Current CEE students in the PhD program should contact the Engineering and Public Policy department for additional information.

Interdisciplinary Programs

Architecture-Engineering Construction Management Program

The Architecture-Engineering Construction Management (AECM) program is an interdisciplinary degree administered by the School of Architecture and involving studies in both Architecture and Civil and Environmental Engineering. 

Applications to the AECM program are submitted through the School of Architecture.

More information about this program.

Dual Degree

Dual PhD Program with METU

A memorandum of understanding (MOU) was signed by both CMU and Middle East Technical University's in 2008, reflecting a commitment of both universities to explore new research opportunities as well as the joint education program, which enables PhD candidates at Carnegie Mellon and METU to earn a degree at each institution.

Candidates for the Dual Ph.D. Degree Program must:

  • apply and be admitted to both departments
  • meet all requirements for both the METU CE Ph.D. program and the CMU CEE Ph.D. program
  • create doctoral dissertations that satisfy a committee of faculty from both institutions
  • spend part of their time resident for a minimum of 2 years at each campus
  • pay tuition and fees to the institution at which they are resident (i.e. 2 or more years paid to METU and 2 or more years paid to CMU)

In order to apply, please visit the CMU CEE application web page or METU website.