Carnegie Mellon University

MS Program Requirements

If you have received a degree from an accredited undergraduate engineering curriculum (or equivalent) you are eligible to apply for a Masters in Civil and Environmental Engineering degree.

If your undergraduate degree is not in engineering you may still be eligible to apply. You can get more information about Graduate Students with a Degree Outside Engineering make up requirements on our website.

Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering (96 units)

A Masters in Civil and Environmental Engineering degree requires that you complete 96 units. Each unit generally requires one hour of work per week (96 units are equivalent to 8 semester-length graduate courses). From the 96 units, 60 units must be completed within the department, and the remaining units can be coursework from other academic units at the university.

Semester length graduate courses are 12 units each. CMU also offers mini courses that run for half of a semester and are 6 units each. As a Civil and Environmental Engineering graduate student, you have the option to mix and match semester length courses and mini courses to complete your 96-unit degree requirement. 

You will need to maintain a 3.0 GPA to receive your degree. 

Master of Science in Civil and Environmental Engineering – Applied Study (102 units)

In addition to all coursework requirements described above in the standard MS in Civil and Environmental Engineering program, Applied Study MS students have a required internship component, allowing them to apply their education in industrial, government, or research settings and gain professional experience. The internship will occur during the summer term and students will register for 3 units of 12‐994 Internship in Civil and Environmental Engineering. Students in the program are also required to take the 3‐unit career planning course 39‐699 Career and Professional Development for Engineering Masters Students. Students will plan and prepare for the internship through consultation with supervising faculty members and the CEE graduate career consultants. It is university policy to deem a student as graduated at the end of the semester in which s/he has fulfilled a minimum of 102 units acceptable for the MS degree, including the 3 units of required internship.

You will need to maintain a 3.0 GPA to receive your degree. 

For detailed information regarding degree requirements, please visit MS Program Requirements

How long will it take to complete my MS degree?

Our MS degree program is a full-time program in which you complete three full-time semesters with a minimum of 36 and a maximum of 48 units per semester. Please refer to the Graduate Student Handbook for additional information.

If you are interested and qualified, you may elect to take an accelerated course load and complete the degree in two semesters. If you are interested in completing our program outside of the standard three full-time semesters you should discuss this carefully with an MS Advisor prior to enrollment.

Part-time registration (less than 36 units in a given semester) is not available to students on an F-1 visa.

Part Time MS Enrollment

Part-time MS enrollment is an option available for students in special circumstances, such as students who desire to pursue an MS degree while maintaining external employment.  Note that immigration regulations do not allow Carnegie Mellon University to issue visa documents for the part-time MS program.

Part-time MS students are required to enroll for a minimum of 12 units each semester. All part-time students are encouraged to complete the degree program as quickly as possible.

Non-Degree Students 

Applicants holding a Bachelor of Science degree may be admitted as part-time special students with no intention of working toward a graduate degree. If you are admitted as a non-degree students and later wish to become a degree candidate, courses taken at Carnegie Mellon with a grade of B or better will be counted toward that degree as long as they fall within the degree requirements. 

If you are interested in registering as a non-degree student, you can find more information by visiting the HUB's website.