Transportation systems are critical to economic prosperity, public health and citizens’ quality of life. Emerging technologies, such as vehicle connectivity, automation, sharing, and electrification, provide unprecedented opportunities to effectively manage transportation systems.
The Smart Transportation/Mobility concentration provides students with a set of analytical skills to tackle a broad spectrum of real-world problems related to transportation systems at the intersection of policy and technology. It develops an in-depth understanding of the interplay among transportation infrastructure, vehicles, and human beings, and offers comprehensive solutions to plan, manage and operate transportation systems and mobility services.
Students are expected to take courses on methods (such as economics, statistics, and optimization) and technologies (such as machine learning, artificial intelligence, and smart cities). Graduates with these skills typically work for governmental agencies, consulting firms, technology companies, non-profit organizations, as well as start-ups.
- 12-606 Traffic Engineering
- 12-645 Intelligent Transportation Systems
- 12-704 Probability and Estimation Methods for Engineering Systems
- 12-706 Civil Systems Investment Planning and Pricing
- 12-783 Geographical Information Systems
- 12-750 Infrastructure Management
- 12-761 Sensing & Data Mining in Smart Structures and Systems
- 12-768 Decision Analytics for Business and Policy
- 12-735 Urban Systems Modeling
The following interdisciplinary courses relate to this concentration and may be of interest for additional course work, depending on your academic and career goals.
- 12-659 Special Topics: MATLAB
- 12-709 Data Analytics for Engineered Systems
- 12-740 Data Acquisition
- 12-741 Data Management
- 12-745 AIS Project
- 12-746 Python Prototyping for Infrastructure Systems
- 12-749 Climate Change Adaptation
- 12-780 Advanced Python and Web Prototyping for Civil Infrastructure
- 90-789 Sustainable Community Development
- 95-760 Decision Making Under Uncertainty
How to Apply
Ready to Apply?
All applications are submitted online through the CMU College of Engineering. For application information, visit our Admissions Information page.