Saturday, September 28, 2013
Crossing Boundaries, Tranforming Lives Symposium: The Impact of Brain and Mind Research
Saturday, September 28, 2013 | 10:45 am - 12:15 pm, McConomy Auditorium, University Center
What role can CMU and Pittsburgh play in President Obama's federal BRAIN Initiative? What new technologies and computational approaches can we help to create to improve our understanding of the brain? Find out the answers to these questions and more by attending the exciting kickoff to Carnegie Mellon's yearlong "Crossing Boundaries, Transforming Lives" Symposia in celebration of Dr. Subra Suresh's inaugural year as the university's ninth president. Join this intriguing discussion, beginning with opening remarks by President Suresh.
Expert participants include:
- Marlene Behrmann, CMU Professor of Psychology;
- Emery Brown, Anaesthesia Professor at Harvard Medical School and MIT Professor of Computational Neuroscience and Health Sciences and Technology;
- Tom Mitchell, CMU's E. Fredkin University Professor and Chair of the Machine Learning Department;
- Philip Rubin, Principal Assistant Director for Science, White House Office of Science and Technology Policy;
- Michael Tarr, CMU's Cowan Professor of Cognitive Neuroscience and CMU Director of the Center for the Neural Basis of Cognition; and
- Nathan Urban, CMU's Dr. Frederick A. Schwertz Distinguished Professor and Head of the Biological Sciences Department.