Master of Science in Software Management Application Components
On this page, you will find all necessary information to complete and submit your application. If you have any questions, please contact the admissions office at (650) 335-2810 or email email@example.com.
To enter the MS Software Management (MS SM) program you must have:
- An undergraduate degree in computer science, electrical and computer engineering, information science, information systems, information technology, or a related field, with a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or equivalent; from an accredited institution (from ABET [Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology, Inc.], Higher Learning Commission or U.S. Dept. of Education) with equivalent preparation,
- Official transcripts of all academic institutions attended
- You must submit one official transcript from each college or university attended (including community, undergraduate, and graduate programs), even if no degree was granted. Transcripts must arrive in a sealed envelope from the issuing institution, to be considered official. If you know you will not be able to get an official copy of your transcripts sent in by the deadline, you may submit unofficial copies and email them to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax them to 650/603-7032 for the admissions committee to review, so as not to slow down your application process. However, a final decision cannot be confirmed until after your official transcripts are received.
- Programming experience with data structures and an object oriented programming language, such as C++ or Java;
- Two letters of recommendation
- Official GRE or GMAT score report: Either exam will be accepted; however, we recommend the GMAT for applicants to the MS in Software Management program. The minimum GRE scores for Carnegie Mellon University are: Verbal (400 or 146 for new scoring system); Quantitative (500 or 144 for new scoring system). Your scores should be sent to the Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley. Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley's GRE institution code is 4024, and our GMAT program code is 69H-Z3-42. (*Part-time only: You may petition to waive the GRE or GMAT requirement if you have already earned a qualifying graduate degree. Waiver decisions are made by the admissions committee.) Test scores are accepted for five years from the date of the last application deadline date. To schedule a GRE examination, please go to http://gre.org or to schedule a GMAT examination, please go to http://mba.com.
- TOEFL - All applicants whose native language (mother tongue) is not English MUST provide TOEFL scores from tests taken within the last 1-2 years. Scores should be added to the online application and originals sent directly to Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley (ETS code 5759). We require a minimum iBT score of 95 (with no sub-score below 23) to be considered for admission.
- minimum Reading = 23
- minimum Listening = 23
- minimum Speaking = 23
- minimum Writing = 23
- TOEFL scores must be sent by ETS electronically to Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley. Applicants must also report their TOEFL scores on their application. The institution code for Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley is 5759. (*Part-time only: Petitions for waiver may be reviewed on a case-by-case basis by the admissions committee.)
- Interview (TOEFL score must be received prior to scheduling)
In addition to your application materials, you may be asked to interview with a member of the admissions committee. The interview gives you an opportunity to learn more about the masters program and also enables the admissions committee to learn more about you beyond the written materials you have provided in your application. Specifically, the interview enables the admissions committee to learn more about your communication and interpersonal skills, background, education, and professional goals. Within two weeks of receiving your completed file, a representative from the admissions committee may contact you to schedule an interview. Interviews can be done in person or by telephone.
- Application fee (USD $100)
Any materials not submitted online should be sent directly to us at:
Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley
NASA Research Park
Building 23 (MS 23-11)
P.O. Box 1
Moffett Field, CA 94035-0001
Information for Re-Applicants:
We welcome re-applicants and appreciate your continued interest in Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley. If you applied within two years, we will have your original application on file, and any components you submitted previously, including your transcripts, GRE or GMAT test scores, and recommendation letters. As a re-applicant, you will need to submit the following:
- An updated application
- One additional letter of recommendation
- Any new test score reports for the GRE or GMAT
- Any new transcripts for classes or degrees you may have received
- An updated resume
The application fee is waived for re-applicants. Please keep in mind that, in general, the quality of the applicant pools increases each year, so it will be to your advantage to update your application with your most recent accomplishments.