Joint CMU-SV DMI/California MCC Rally
DMI/MCC Rally: EmComm - Mobile Communications for Public Safety: Policy, Technology & Practice
NASA Research Park, May 22-23, 2011 (Sunday & Monday)
In practice with the DMI spirit of moving from talk to action, we were delighted to coordinate our workshop with the 2011 California Mobile Command Center (MCC) Rally sponsored by the California Fire Chiefs Association (CFCA) and the California Emergency Management Agency (Cal EMA).
This unique action-packed 2-day event, disaster communications was explored through testing interoperability with some 30 mobile emergency communications vehicles, hands-on experiments and demonstrations, and panels discussing what works and doesn't in disasters.
- Read a brief summary on the workshop!
- View presentation slides in the program (as available)
- Plugfest Exercise - learn more about participant tasks
- Photo Report - Randall Larson, 9-1-1 Magazine.com
- Academia and Disasters: 2011 California command van rally & DMI - Randall Larson, Homeland 1
- Interactive Interoperability: 2011 California command van rally - Randall Larson, Homeland 1
- Mountain View Voice - Daniel Debolt, Staff Writer
- Fox News Press Release
- NASA Ames Press Release
- CMU Pittsburgh Press Release
- CMU Silicon Valley Press Release
More videos and presentations to come, stay tuned.
- More event images (over 400) - Orange Photography (register to view)
Learning - keynotes, panels, discussions
"Public/Private Partnerships - What's in it for me?" - Michael Cummings, FEMA Region 9 Private Sector Liaison
"Burning Man: Temporary IT and Communications" - Joseph Pred, Communications Coordinator for Burning Man
"National Guard's Role in Emergencies" - Major General Scott Johnson, Commander - 40th Infantry Division, California National Guard
Participation - classes, exercises, demos
"PlugFest" - Disaster Communication Exercise - Cal EMA and Santa Clara County OES
Red Cross Communication - Planning and Practice - American Red Cross
Amateur Radio: Digital and Packet Radio Talk and Workshop -“ DMI
Attendees came from across sectors ranging from FEMA to Burning Man, non-profits to volunteers and academia to private corporations.