While our student affairs office cannot act as a real estate agency or rental broker for you, we are happy to offer our advice or suggestions on locations that may be of interest to you.
As you start your housing search, be informed of your rights and responsibilities as a rental tenant. To help you manage your rental-housing responsibilities, review the following:
- California Tenants, A Guide to Residential Tenants' and Landlords' Rights and Responsibilties (.pdf) - published by the State of Califiornia Department of Consumer Affairs.
- Tenant Rights, Laws and Protections in California - from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development.
- City of Mountain View Mediation Services - 650-960-0495
- Tenants Together - 415-495-8100
- County of Santa Clara - Community Mediation - 408-792-2327 or 408-792-2300
- Craigslist: The best rental prices can be found on Craigslist, an online regional advertisement listing, but short-term rentals are hard to find on this site. Please be aware that if you are unfamiliar with the Bay Area and/or the Silicon Valley, you should take care to ensure the rental locations are near campus and that you have adequate transportation to travel to and from campus. For those of you who are familiar with the area, Craigslist is great! For a mapped version of Craigslist, check out Housing Maps.
- HotPads: A map-based apartment and rental home search engine, listing homes for rent, apartments, condos and real estate.
- Zillow: A home and real estate marketplace dedicated to helping homeowners, home buyers, sellers, renters, real estate agents, mortgage professionals, landlords and property managers find and share vital information about homes, real estate, mortgages, and home improvement.
- RentHop: A nationwide apartment rental search engine that simplifies real estate decisions using technology and data analysis. RentHop offers the most sophisticated apartment quality ranking algorithms, helping apartment hunters quickly sift through large pools of inventory to find the most appropriate listings. RentHop also allows users to schedule viewings quickly and easily using RentHop's integrated messaging tools. Currently expanding Bay Area listings.
- LocatedLLC: A San Francisco based relocation company that was created to help people move to the Bay Area. They can help you with finding an apartment, moving logistics, and getting acclimated to life in the area. In addition to helping you secure an apartment, Located LLC provides airport pickups, neighborhoods tours, English lessons, networking events, and other services. There is a fee for services. Contact email@example.com
- Oakwood Apartments: Oakwood Apartments is the closest facility to the campus and downtown Mountain View, both of which are relatively short walks from the apartments. Oakwood is also the most well-appointed facility, offering complimentary breakfast nearly every morning, a large fitness room, conference rooms, basketball courts, large swimming pool, hot tub, and a variety of on-site, for-fee services including a massage therapist, car rentals, laundry service, housekeeper, etc. High-speed internet is available through the front office. The Oakwood units are high-end, catering primarily to Silicon Valley executives or interns who may be on short-term assignment at a company in the area.
Contact Loan Nguyen (firstname.lastname@example.org,408-265-3941). Toll Free 800-940-7909, Fax 408-551-6955.
Basic Apartment includes:
- Standard Pre Move-In Hookups: Utilities, Cable, Local Telephone Service, and Wireless high speed Internet
- Complete Kitchen Package: Microwave Oven, Pots, Pans, Coffee Maker, Toaster and Place Settings
- Living Room: Sofa, Coffee and End Tables, Lamps, Cordless Telephone, 27” TV.
- Relaxing Bedrooms: Your choice of King or Twin size beds in one bedrooms, Murphy-style Bed in Studios, Bedding, Telephone, Steam Iron and Board, Clock Radio
- Additional Features: Vacuum Cleaner, Luxurious Bath Towels
- Residence Inn: The Marriott Residence Inn has two convenient locations near Moffett Field: Silicon Valley I and Silicon Valley II. All residence suites include the amenities of a hotel, as well as a small, but fully-equipped kitchen. The Residence Inn serves a complimentary hot breakfast every day and a complimentary dinner Monday through Thursday, and has a cardio fitness room on site. There is a shuttle between the Silicon Valley I location and NASA Ames that runs Monday - Friday 7am - 7pm. Studio suite (with kitchen) and penthouse suites (2 bedrooms, 2 baths, 2 stories and a sofabed) are available. Contact Michelle Mercier at 408.540.7798 for more information.
- Staybridge Suites: Staybridge Suites Hotel Sunnyvale (900 Hamlin Court, Sunnyvale, CA) is located less than half a mile from the Carnegie Mellon University Campus. Staybridge Suites is perfect for short term and extended stays. The hotel features One Bedroom & Two Bedroom – Two Bathroom Suites. All suites include:
- Complimentary hot breakfast daily
- Complimentary Sundowner Reception - Tuesday & Thursdays, as well as a BBQ reception on Wednesday evenings. All nights include complimentary salad bar, beer, wine and soda
- Complimentary wired and wireless internet connection
- Complimentary shuttle service within a 5 mile radius
- Complimentary business center- Open 24 hrs
- Complimentary laundry – Open 24 hrs
- Complimentary light-touch housekeeping service daily with one full (heavy) clean per week
- Complimentary fitness center and complimentary passes to the Supreme Court Athletic Club on North Mathilda Avenue
- Onsite heated pool and spa
- Onsite convenience store – Open 24 hrs
- Same day valet service is available
- Our Two Bedroom – Two Bathroom Suites are idea for roommate situations. There are Two Bedrooms located on opposite sides of the suite. Each bedroom has a Queen bedroom, full bathroom, workspace area, phone line and dressing area. The only common areas shared are the full kitchen and living room. All kitchens come fully equipped with dishes, pots, pans, microwaves, full size refrigerator, dishwasher and microwave.
The NASA Lodge: (650-603-7100) The NASA Lodge is located directed across the street from Carnegie Mellon’s Silicon Valley campus on Moffett Field in Mountain View, CA. The Lodge is a hotel that is available to guests of the organizations that are located on Moffett Field. The rooms are equipped with a full refrigerator, a microwave, coffee maker, television, DVD player, free internet access, and a queen-sized bed. While the rooms are not luxurious, they are clean and neat, and the Lodge provides daily maid service. There are no kitchens available. There is a NASA bus that takes people to the Mountain View transportation center, located in the downtown area; however, while the bus has a regular schedule, it has a limited number of shuttles to the transportation center. The cost of a NASA Lodge room is approximately $55.00/night. This is a good short-term option while looking for long-term housing.
Furniture & housewares
Most rental apartments are unfurnished; tenants will need to supply their own furniture and small appliances (refrigerators and range/ovens are typically provided).
Craigslist —Find second-hand furniture, small appliances and other housewares for sale in your neighborhood. There are several subsites for the San Francisco Bay Area; Mountain View-area listings will be under South Bay (sby) or Peninsula (pen). Most sellers will require you to pick up and transport items yourself.
IKEA — Located just off Highway 101 in East Palo Alto. Provides delivery for certain items.
Target — has stores near the SV campus in Mountain View, Cupertino, Sunnyvale and San Jose
Google Shopping Express — a new service from Google with same-day delivery for select items from local retailers; available for several neighborhoods in the Bay Area