Safety and Security
Carnegie Mellon Silicon Valley does not operate a campus police force, however, the campus is located in gated NASA Research Park with law enforcement provided by NASA Ames Protective Services Office Security Police. All students, staff, faculty and guests are encouraged to promptly report criminal incidents, accidents and other emergencies o local authorities. Crimes and emergencies can be reported at any time of day or night seven days a week:
- In person with a Security Officer at the Main Gate located on Moffett Boulevard.
- By calling NASA Ames Protective Services at 650-604-5416 [Dispatch Office 24-Hour Non-Emergency], 650-604-5555 [Emergency via Cell Phone], or 9-1-1 [Emergency].
Carnegie Mellon University's "2013 Annual Security and Fire Safety Report" is available on the Web at: http://www.cmu.edu/police/
NASA Community Resources
- Post Office - Located in Building 67 (next to Building 19), this US Post Office provides a number of postal services, including sale of stamps, shipping services and PO boxes. Service hours are M-F 10am - 3pm with 24 hour access to PO Boxes. For more information, call 650-967-4144.
Food and Dining
At Moffett Field:
- Barcelona Cafe - The Barcelona Cafe, in the NASA Ames Conference Center (Building 3), is open to serve Ames, NASA Research Park and the military. It is open Monday through Friday with hot breakfast service from 7 a.m. to 9:30 a.m. and lunch from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. The Barcelona Cafe serves a variety of regular, as well as vegan, entrees. Try the ever-popular tacos, tostadas and burritos on Wednesdays and a variety of Asian and American cuisine on other days. With the new specialty coffee machine, try a freshly made espresso with a tasty breakfast sandwich or pastry.
- Vending machines are located on the first floor of Building 23 and Building 19.
Beyond Moffett Field:
- Specialities Cafe and Peet's Coffee and Tea - 645 Ellis (outside NASA Ellis Gate)
- Mario's Pizza and Italian Restaurant - 861 Leong Dr (off of Moffett Blvd south of Hwy 101)
- Downtown Mountain View (Castro St.)
Food Delivery Options:
For a comprehensive list of food delivery options in the area, visit http://www.waiter.com and use Zip Code = 94035.
As many teams and groups like to have food delivered to Building 23, please make sure to share the following with the restaurant/food deliverer: Delivery person must show a valid and current government-issued ID (CA driver's license, passport, etc.) upon approaching the security gate. They should also present the order invoice/receipt that verifies that they are making a food delivery to Building 23/CMU. Be sure to share your cell number with the restaurant when you make your order, just in case they need to contact you if they cannot pass the security gate.
Free and ample parking is available behind Building 23. No permit is necessary to park at Moffett Field. Additional parking is available in front of Building 23 (green zone only). For large campus events, including Graduation, designated overflow parking locations will be advertised.
Per NASA regulation, operators of motor vehicles on NASA property or operating a NASA vehicle both on and off NASA property shall not use hand-held communication devices while the vehicle is motion except for emergency, security, and fire vehicles during official operations. This includes cell phones, UHF radios, or other hand-held wireless communication devices. This regulation is applicable to federal property and the NASA Ames Research Center.