Self-Paced Materials, Handouts and Other Useful Links
You can access these resources on your own, though you may find it useful to talk first with a tutor who can orient you to the best use of the resources.
Pronunciation, Writing, and English Language Resources
- American Speechsounds (DVD): available for checkout. Email Jennifer or Linda to arrange for pick-up in B19, room 1071.
- Breaking the Accent Barrier (DVD): available for checkout. Email Jennifer or Linda to arrange for pick-up in B19, room 1071.
- CMU Writing Tutor — Six modules on different aspects of writing, each with an introductory instructional section with interactive examples and a practice section.
- Fenetiks: The Sounds of Spoken Language(University of Iowa) — This site is excellent for practicing English phonemes. It includes audio-visual interactive diagrams and a video for each phoneme. An Android app will be released in 2014.
- Intercultural Communication Center handouts — Information from ICC on specific language and cultural concerns for international students, as well as for faculty working with international students.
PhD Student and Teaching Assistant Resources
- Collected Wisdom: Strategies & Techniques from TAs for TAs, from the Eberly Center for Teaching Excellence. Practical insights from TAs and faculty, along with research on teaching and learning, to make TA’s work with students more efficient and more successful. 150 pages.
- ECE Graduate Student Organization — resources for Ph.D. students preparing for quals.
- Teaching Resources from the Derek Bok Center for Teaching and Learning at Harvard — General self-study material and tips on lecturing and teaching; includes the video “The Act of Teaching” on the art of lecturing and engaging students.
- everystockphoto.com: Free-to-use "stock" images
- Flickr's Creative Commons stream: Free-to-use "stock" images
- iStock: Professional photos (some free, most for a fee)
- morguefile.co: Free-to-use "stock" images
- Slide design – Garr Reynolds' website and book Presentation Zen
- slide:ology: The Art and Science of Creating Great Presentations by Nancy Duarte