Who Requires Data Management Plans?
Currently, only a handful of granting agencies and organizations require data management plans. The expectation, though, is that other granting agencies will begin to require DMPs or data sharing in the future. In March 2013, the White House Office of Science and Technology Policy issued a Policy Memorandum [pdf] that effectively expanded the requirements for data management planning and data sharing to most research agencies in the Federal Government and the recipients of grants from said agencies.
Below is a list of some US federal granting agencies that require funded projects to provide some form of data management planning. Not all agencies the require a DMP are listed here. If you notice something is missing from this list, contact Denise Troll Covey, Scholarly Communications Librarian, firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about whether your grant proposal requires a DMP, contact the CMU Office of Sponsored Programs.
See also UK Funder Policies for a list of funding agencies in the United Kingdom that require data sharing.
Department of Energy
The Department of Energy (DOE) is taking a phased approach to implementing data management requirements. The data management policy of the Office of Science goes into effect October 1, 2014. Other DOE Offices must have a policy in place by October 1, 2015.
DMPs will be reviewed as part of the grant proposal merit review process. Proposals that do not include a DMP will be rejected. Proposals with a DMP that does not meet the requirements will not be funded. See the Statement on Digital Data Management for additional information.
National Science Foundation
The National Science Foundation started requiring DMPs for grant proposals in January, 2011. Basic guidelines for NSF proposals can be found in the NSF Grant Proposal Guide Chapter II, Section C.2.j Special Information and Supplementary Documentation.
In addition, individual NSF Directorates offer more specific guidance for proposals for those areas of interest:
- Biological Sciences Directorate [pdf]
- Computer and Information Sciences and Engineering Directorate
- Education and Human Resources Directorate [pdf]
- Engineering Directorate [pdf]
- Geosciences Directorate
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate - Division of Astronomical Sciences [pdf]
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate - Division of Chemistry [pdf]
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate - Division of Materials Research [pdf]
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate - Division of Mathematical Sciences [pdf]
- Mathematical and Physical Sciences Directorate - Division of Physics [pdf]
- Social, Behavioral, and Economic Sciences Directorate [pdf]