Wednesday, July 1, 2009
HERL Selected as VA Center of Excellence for Wheelchairs and Associated Rehabilitation EngineeringFOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – PITTSBURGH – The Department of Veterans Affairs has selected the Human Engineering Research Laboratories (HERL) as the VA Center of Excellence for Wheelchairs and Associated Rehabilitation Engineering. As a Research Center of Excellence, HERL will receive one million dollars each year for a five-year cycle of funding before having to submit an application for competitive renewal. This is the third time HERL has received this award.
This Center for wheelchair technology focuses on the design, development and evaluation of new technologies to improve the mobility of physically-impaired individuals. In its short history, HERL has become an important contributor in the fields of wheelchair design, seating systems, transportation systems and novel approaches to the delivery of assistive technology.
VA Rehabilitation Research and Development Service (RR&D) Centers focus on research in high-priority areas relevant to the rehabilitation needs of Veterans, providing cutting-edge solutions to the issues of chronic impairment. VA RR&D Centers serve as a resource primarily for Veterans but also for the rehabilitation community at large. These Centers are expected to:
- Successfully leverage core support funding through nationally competed and scientifically reviewed funding vehicles;
- Mentor and support young investigators, both clinician and non-clinician scientists, through pre- and post-doctoral programs and recruit them into VA;
- Nurture strong interactive relationships with clinical service providers engaged in rehabilitation, long-term management of impairment and overall quality of life issues;
- Facilitate effective information dissemination for a broad spectrum of audiences; and
- Foster the integration of research findings into clinical practice.
Public & Community Relations Manager
For more info: www.research.va.gov, www.herlpitt.org, www.herl.research.va.gov