Carnegie Mellon University Postal Services Policies
- ⇒ All Carnegie Mellon faculty, staff, and graduate students are eligible to rent a mailbox.
- ⇒ Mailboxes can be rented on a per semester basis or on an annual basis. The cost is $30/semester or $55/year.
- ⇒ A Carnegie Mellon photo id, a phone number and an email address are required to rent a mailbox.
Renting a Mailbox
- CMU id should be presented to a cashier at the front window of Postal Services.
- The cashier will ask for the renter’s name, photo id number, phone number and email address.
- Postal Services accepts cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, PlaidCa$h and Oracle strings as payment.
- An email notification will be sent within 24 hours of payment informing the renter of their mailbox number and their combination.
Renewing your Mailbox Rental
At the beginning of the last month of the rental period, an email will be sent informing the renter that mailbox rent is due. Please visit Postal Services to renew your mailbox rental or please inform us that you no longer need your mailbox. If payment is not received within seven days after the last day of the month when rent is due, all mail will be returned to sender and the renter will be released from their mailbox. A current CMU ID must be presented at the time of renewal.
Ending your Mailbox Rental
When the renter no longer needs their Postal Service mailbox, please inform Postal Services. It is the responsibility of the renter to change their address with friends, family, cell phone companies, credit card companies, banks and other institutions of which they regularly receive mail.
If the renter is leaving campus for a few weeks, for the summer, to study abroad, to take a leave of absence, or simply leaving campus for an extended period of time for any reason but plan on returning, please forward your mail with the Post Office. We will forward all first class mail, magazines, and packages. Mail forwarding forms can be filled out online at http://www.cmu.edu/postoffice/forms/index.html Forwards are effective until you inform the Post Office of your return to campus.