Postage Saving Tips-Postal Services - Carnegie Mellon University
Postage Savings Tips
- Rethink your envelope - if you can fold your mail in half and place it in a smaller envelope, you will save money.
- Use double sided printing so that your envelope is thinner.
- Use flat rate packaging. It's available for free in the Post Office lobby.
- Use Media Mail - books, film, printed music, play scripts, printed educational charts, and computer-readable media can be mailed via Media Mail for less money. Please note that Media Mail is subject to inspection.
- Buy the forever stamp - when the price of postage increases again, if you have forever stamps that you paid $.42 for, they immediately become worth the new price.
- Screen your mailing list for unnecessary names, duplicates and incomplete addresses.
- Do not over-insure. The USPS will pay only the actual value of an item, not the declared value.
- Use postcards for short messages or announcements. The cost is cheaper than sending an envelope.
- Use Business Reply envelopes provided by vendors, instead of department envelopes.
- Use Intra-campus envelopes for on-campus mail. Use regular business envelopes for off-campus mailings only.
- Use Non-profit/Bulk Rate when possible.