The application deadline for students starting in the Fall is indicated in
the home page of the TCE-PhD website. The Admissions Committee reviews
completed applications in the order they are received. Thus, early
application is strongly recommended. To be evaluated, applications must have
all required materials.
You may either apply online or follow the instructions below for a paper application.
To apply online, go to:
This link will bring you to the online application for the Carnegie Mellon Engineering College. The first part of the application will ask for general application information. When completed you will need to select Engineering and Public Policy (EPP) as the department to which you are applying and complete the EPP supplemental form. Even if you are not interested in EPP or the College of Engineering, you may use this site. On the EPP supplemental form you will see the heading 'Special Area of Research', please be sure to select this option:
"Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in the Carnegie Mellon Portugal Program?"
Submit the application.
Recommendation letters can either be done online by your recommenders or mailed in to TCE admissions by your recommenders.
You may pay the $65 application fee by credit card, check, or money order. If you choose to pay by check it must be a check drawn on a bank in the United States. Credit card payment can only be accepted if you use the online application.
To apply using a paper application:
Complete an application form (download form)
Application materials should include:
- A 2-page statement of purpose
- Official Transcripts of prior academic record, indicating first class or equivalent standing. A Master’s degree is usually required for entry to the program, but applicant’s with exceptional undergraduate performance may also be considered. Note transcripts must be sent to us directly from the issuing institutions, transcripts received from applicants cannot be considered official.
- GMAT or GRE test scores (top decile performance is expected). You can provide copies, but official scores should then be forwarded separately by the application deadline. For the GRE, the institution code is 2074 and the department code is 1699. The GMAT code is 69H-24-96.
- Three reference letters, in English, attesting to your suitability for a rigorous, international, and cross-disciplinary research-based doctoral program. These should be forwarded separately by the referees, or each reference should be provided in a sealed envelope signed by the referee. [download form]
- A check or money order for the $65 application fee made payable to Carnegie Mellon University. International applicants should pay with a check drawn on a bank in the United States. Note, we are not able to accept credit card payment if you are using the paper application process.
- For students from non-English speaking countries, a TOEFL score taken within the past two years. The institution code is 2074 and the department code is 69.
- Your resume/vita, and (optional) a sample of your writing.
Mail your application and application materials to the TCE PhD Program:
Department of Engineering and Public Policy
Carnegie Mellon University
5000 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15213-3890
For additional information, please contact:
Associate Professor of Economics
Carnegie Mellon University
Hamburg Hall 3018
Phone: +1 (412) 268-4649
Carnegie Mellon: +1 (412) 268-4649