CMUPD Training Unit
Training is the core ingredient to any successful law enforcement agency. The Carnegie Mellon University Police Training Unit is responsible for ensuring that all police officers, security officers, and dispatchers received State, Local, and University mandated Training. The Training Coordinator is responsible for oversight of this function. Training is generally mandated to annual or bi-annual status. The following is a sample of training mandated for all police officers:
- Annual MPOETC Legal Updates
- Annual Blood-borne Pathogen Training
- CPR for Healthcare Providers (bi-annually)
- Annual Firearms Qualifications
- Radiation Safety Training
- OC Spray and ASP® Expandable Baton Training (bi-annually)
In additional to core required training, individual police officers, security guards, and dispatchers may be sent to receive additional training upon request, and based on needs of the department. The purpose of this training is to learn additional job skills, and bring those skills back to incorporate into "in house" training. In the past year police officers from CMUPD have received training that is being taught to various law enforcement agencies nation-wide. Our police officers have trained side by side with officers from the following agencies:
- Pennsylvania State Police
- City of Pittsburgh Police
- Allegheny County S.W.A.T.
- FBI S.W.A.T.
- Various other College, State, and Municipal Agencies
Many of the Carnegie Mellon University Police Officers have training as Instructors in various police functions. The goal is to make the University Police Department better trained, and to extend the function of training to other agencies. The Carnegie Mellon University Police hopes to begin hosting training for other law enforcement agencies in the near future.