Community and Events
Our student community is very active. For example, there are five clubs directly organized by physics majors and/or sponsored by the Physics Department in which physics majors participate in significant numbers. In addition, physics majors form the largest fraction of the participants in the Carnegie Mellon chapter of Student Pugwash.
- Astronomy Club. Learn to set up telescopes and locate constellations! Join astronomy enthusiasts to re-vamp the CMU observatory, discuss space facts, launch model rockets, and satiate our curiosity about the Universe. They meet Fridays at 7:30 PM in DH A301D.
- Carnegie Mellon Rocket Club. The Rocket Club, formerly known as Carnegie Mellon Rocket Command promotes interest in rocketry. One does not have to be a rocket scientist or a physicist to join the CMRC. They meet Tuesdays at 4:30 PM in DH A200
- Physics and Philosophy Club. The Physics and Philosophy Club asks questions inherent in all human beings: on the "true" nature of things. Ask deep questions about the Universe, reality, etc. and give answers. There is typically some material to study beforehand-usually suggested by the members. They meet Tuesdays at 6:30 PM in Wean Hall 7423.
- Physics Students Advisory Council (PSAC). Get involved with the academics and non-academic aspects of the Physics department. Discuss course curriculums, facilities, classes to offer in future, etc. and make the most of student feedback. Physics SAC also designs the much acclaimed t-shirts. They meet on alternating Thursdays at 4:30 PM in DH A301D.
- Society of Physics Students (SPS). Come have fun with other physics majors designing demonstrations, building spaghetti and gumdrop bridges, criticizing old sci-fi films, playing Physics Jeopardy, making liquid nitrogen ice cream, firing potato guns, etc. They meet alternating Thursdays at 4:30 PM in DH A301D
- Student Pugwash. Give your opinion on provacative topics, policies and current issues, while discussing the role of science and scientists in society. They meet Wednesdays at 5:30 PM in BH 235A.