Hardware-Dept of Physics - Carnegie Mellon University
Physics Department Computing Facility: Hardware
- osage: Lexmark T650 (MS), black & white duplex laser printer
- physcolor: HP cp4525 color laser jet
- Imac: Intel core i5, 2.5 ghz, 4gb memory 22" LCD screen
- Epson Perfection 4490 photo scanner
- gibbs: Dell Dimension E520: 2.8 ghz, 4gb memory 22" LCD screen
- landau: Dell Dimension E520: 2.8 ghz, 4gb memory 22" LCD screen
- Users have access to a dozen machines called the qwe cluster which is a group of PCs named qwe1-qwea, sharing user home directories on a high speed network segment; presently the qwe cluster
- the parallel cluster which is a group of multiprocessor high end PCs sharing the user home directories with the qwe cluster; the computers in the parallel cluster are interconnected via a switched Fast Ethernet network; these computers are loaded with software as PVM and MPI which takes advantage of network communication in order to handle parallel computations.
- The computers in the parallel cluster are accessible only remotely, having the following names: fp21-fp29. The only accepted connections are ssh and scp. All the users of the qwe cluster can access those computers. However, they are intended to be used only for number crunching purpose, and not for e-mail, file editing, web surfing or other graphics intensive applications.