Office: Wean Hall 8406
EducationPh.D., Massaschusetts Institute of Technology
ResearchMedium energy physics explores the interactions of few- and many-particle systems at the interface between the quark-gluon and meson-baryon descriptions of matter. Medium energy physics tends to address questions that, as a practical matter, do not require the highest beam energies or luminosities, but do call for high-precision measurements using specialized equipment. At Carnegie Mellon we have a large research group doing Medium Energy Physics.
Currently, my main area of work is in the electromagnetic production of strange particles (kaons and hyperons). The production of strange-quark pairs via the well-known electromagnetic interaction (via photon and electron-induced reactions) gives us an avenue for refining our knowledge of baryon resonances and coupling constants; the results are compared with modern quark model calculations. This work is being done at the Thomas Jefferson National Accelerator Facility . More exactly, my work is done using the CEBAF Large Acceptance Spectrometer (CLAS) in Hall B at Jefferson Lab.
At Carnegie Mellon I teach a number of different courses, and this comprises a very important part of my work.
- K. Moriya et al., Differential photoproduction cross sections of the Σ0(1385), Λ(1405), and Λ(1520), Phys. Rev. C 88, 45201 (2013)
- K. Moriya et al., Measurement of the Σπ photoproduction line shapes near the Λ(1405), Phys. Rev. C 87, 35206 (2013)
- G Bernero, J Olitsky, R A Schumacher, Atmospheric dependence of the stopping cosmic ray muon rate at ground level, J. Phys. G: Nucl. Part. Phys. 40, 65203 (2013)
- R. A. Schumacher, M. M. Sargsian, Scaling and resonances in elementary K+Λ photoproduction, Physical Review C 83, 025207 (2011)
- R. Schumacher, Polarization in hyperon photo- and electro-production, The European Physical Journal A 35, 299 (2008)
- R. Bradford et al., First measurement of beam-recoil observables Cx and Cz in hyperon photoproduction, Physical Review C 75, 035205 (2007)
- R. Bradford et al., Differential cross sections for γ+p→K++Y for Λ and Σ0 hyperons, Physical Review C 73, 035202 (2006)
- Reinhard Schumacher, The Rise and Fall of Pentaquarks in Experiments, AIP Conf. Proc. 842, 409 (2006).
- J. McNabb et al., Hyperon photoproduction in the nucleon resonance region, Physical Review C 69, 042201 (2004)
- R. A. Schumacher, Strangeness production and other recent results from Hall B at Jefferson Lab, The European Physical Journal A - Hadrons and Nuclei 18, 371 (2003)
- B.A. Mecking et al., The CEBAF large acceptance spectrometer (CLAS), Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 503, 513 (2003)
- Stephan A. Roth, Reinhard A. Schumacher, A computer-controlled tension monitoring system for drift chamber wires, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment 369, 215 (1996)
- Reinhard A. Schumacher, Possible violation of the rule in non-mesonic hypernuclear weak decay, Nuclear Physics A 547, 143 (1992)
- Reinhard A. Schumacher, Special relativity and the Michelson–Morley interferometer, American Journal of Physics 62, 609 (1994)