Emeritus Professor, Physics
EducationPh.D., University of California at Los Angeles
Research interests are in experimental high-energy particle physics and, in particular, the use of electron-positron and proton-proton colliding beam accelerators. Our group is a member of the Compact Muon Solenoid (CMS) experiment, which constructed a massive detector for the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). The LHC is a 14 TeV proton-proton colliding beam accelerator, which has been constructed at the European accelerator center, CERN, in Geneva, Switzerland. To find out more, visit the CMS web page at: http://cms.cern.ch/and CERN's web page at: http://public.web.cern.ch/public/
The Carnegie Mellon high-energy physics group designed and built 200,000 channels of front-end electronics for the CMS forward muon cathode-strip chambers. You can find out more about these electronics at our web site: http://www-hep.phys.cmu.edu/cms/
Since beginning in 2010 and running until the spring of 2013, the LHC has reached 8 TeV in its center-of-mass energy and is already close to its design intensity. Based on this data sample, the CMS experiment has published over 300 papers on a huge range of physics topics. The best-known result is the discovery of the Standard Model Higgs boson in 2012 by the CMS and ATLAS experiments.
The LHC will start up again in 2015 at its full center-of-mass energy.
Running at this higher energy will greatly increase our sensitivity for discovering new physics beyond the Standard Model. In particular, we will search for new families of particles, such as supersymmetric particles, predicted by many theories.
- V. Khachatryan et al., Observation of the rare Bs0 →µ+µ− decay from the combined analysis of CMS and LHCb data, Nature 522, 68 (2015)
- V. Khachatryan et al., Limits on the Higgs boson lifetime and width from its decay to four charged leptons, Phys. Rev. D 92, 72010 (2015)
- V. Khachatryan et al., Search for supersymmetry with photons in p p collisions at √s=8 TeV, Phys. Rev. D 92, 72006 (2015)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., (CMS Collaboration), Determination of the top-quark pole mass and strong coupling constant from the tt̅ production cross section in pp̅ collisions at √s̅ = 7 TeV, Phys. Lett. B 728, 496 (2014)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Study of the Mass and Spin-Parity of the Higgs Boson Candidate via Its Decays to Z Boson Pairs, Physical Review Letters 110, 81803 (2013)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Measurement of the elliptic anisotropy of charged particles produced in PbPb collisions at √s̅NN=2.76 TeV, Physical Review C 87, 014902 (2013)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Search for heavy, top-like quark pair production in the dilepton final state in pp collisions at √s̅ = 7 TeV, Physics Letters B 716, 103-121 (2012)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Search for pair produced fourth-generation up-type quarks in pp collisions at with a lepton in the final state, Physics Letters B 718, 307 (2012)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Observation of a new boson at a mass of 125 GeV with the CMS experiment at the LHC, Physics Letters B 716, 30 (2012)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Study of high-pT charged particle suppression in PbPb compared to pp collisions at √s̅NN=2.76 TeV, The European Physical Journal C 72, 1945 (2012)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., Observation of a New Ξb Baryon, Physical Review Letters 108, 252002 (2012)
- S. Chatrchyan et al., J/ψ and ψ(2S) production in pp collisions at √s̅ = 7 Tev, Journal of High Energy Physics 2012, 11 (2012)
- V. Khachatryan et al., Upsilon production cross section in pp collisions at √s̅=7 TeV, Physical Review D 83, 112004 (2011)
- CMS Collaboration: Performance of the CMS cathode strip chambers with cosmic rays, Journal of Instrumentation 5, T03018-T03018 (2010)
- CMS Collaboration: S. Chatrchyan et al., The CMS experiment at the CERN LHC, Journal of Instrumentation 3, S08004-S08004 (2008)