Without the dedication of our volunteers, Osher at Carnegie Mellon would not exist. Since the inception of this organization in 1992, volunteers have made Osher at CMU one of the largest and most respected lifelong learning programs in the country. It is only through the tireless and selfless commitment of all of our volunteers that we can enjoy and take pride in such a stellar program.
In order to continue to operate as an almost all volunteer organization, we need your help. Please consider volunteering for one of the following positions:
- Reception Desk - Assist the office in the morning or afternoon answering phones, sorting mail, organizing registration forms, copying, and other tasks as needed.
- Mailing Committee - Meet three to five times per year to stuff envelopes for mass mailings.
- Data Entry - Enter membership and registration data for course enrollments on a database system.
- Study Leader Assistants - Interact with and maintain ongoing communications with fellow students, Study Leaders and the Registrar. You are responsible for class announcements, taking attendance, collecting course evaluations, and addressing other needs of the class.
- Special Events - Plan an event as part of a special committee.
- Luncheons - Plan several luncheons per year. Evaluate local restaurants and initiate restaurant contacts, assist with the preparation of flyers and name tags.
- Lectures - Research and contact potential monthly speakers and maintain communications with the office and University CenteSocials - Assist with social events.
- One-Day Trips - Research and assist with the organization of one-day trips in the tri-state area; assist with the preparation of flyers.
- Multi-Day Trips - Assist with the organization of multi-day trips, preparation of flyers and other duties, as needed. Travel Agent: RoseMarie DeRiso, 412-821-0210
- Membership - Draft membership invitation letters, welcome and dues letters, prepare membership questionnaires, plan the new member orientation meeting and work on mass mailings.
- Newsletter - Do you like to write? Are you creative? Do you like to meet and interview people? Are you a novice photographer? Join the newsletter staff and assist with the preparation of our Newsletter, It’s All Talk, published three times per year. Editor: Rosalyn Treger
- Archivists - Assist with the ongoing preservation of historical and yearly records and office files.
- Diversity Committee - Build awareness of Osher at CMU within various ethnic/diverse communities where there might be an interested in lifelong learning.