Start Smart Law
START SMART is an initiative of Project Olympus at Carnegie Mellon University and the Innovation Practice Institute at the University of Pittsburgh School of Law to provide educational seminars and workshops to teach entrepreneurs and start-ups, and future lawyers in the Pittsburgh region the basics of entrepreneurial business law.
Upcoming Start Smart Law Seminars
Capital Raise Seminar – September 11 @ CMU Register – Featuring David Lehman
- Learn the legal issues associated with raising capital from Friends and Family
- Learn about opportunities available because of the new JOBS Act
- Crowd sourcing and proposed SEC regulation
- Incubator, government and foundation funding?
Business Formation Seminar and IPI Workshop – Oct. 9 @ Pitt Law School Register -Featuring David Lehman. Pre-meeting the week before with David Lehman and Pitt Law students.
- Entity Formation
- Founder Arrangements
- Founder Employment Arrangements
- Splitting the Pie
- Founder Agreements
- Employee Equity
The seminar will be followed by an IPI workshop where law students are matched with entrepreneurs that are planning to form businesses in the near future. A ‘roadmap’ will be provided to the entrepreneur. Interested entrepreneurs that wish to apply should contact Kit Needham: firstname.lastname@example.org
Follow up drafting assignment – law students will work with entrepreneurs to draft
either Shareholder Agreement or Operating Agreement.
Intellectual Property – Nov. 19 @ CMU during Global Entrepreneurship Week Register– Featuring Mike Lazzara, IP Attorney from KLG and possibly Mike Madison from Pitt Law School. Intellectual Property issues are issue for many startups.
Join a panel of experts as they discuss;
- How to protect entrepreneur’s IP
- How not to infringe another’s IP
- How to handle IP created with employee, including non-compete clauses
- Copyright, patents, trademark, trade secrets
- First to file v. first to event – changes in US Patent Law
For More Entrepreneurial Events Visit Our Events Page»
Entrepreneur in Residence Project Olympus
Executive Director Innovation Practice Institute (IPI) at Pitt Law