Gary Onik, MD
Adjunct Professor, Mechanical Engineering
401 East Las Olas Blvd.
Ft Lauderdale, FL 33301
Gary Onik pioneered the technique of ultrasound guided cryosurgical ablation, which has lead to the development of Interventional Oncology. Dr. Onik developed the instrumentation and techniques for focal therapy that allowed for the cryosurgical ablation of just the prostate cancer tumor, rather than the whole gland. This initiative is now an accepted alternative to radiation and radical prostatectomy and the preferred treatment for patients with prostate cancer who have failed radiation therapy.
His current research has focused on the development Irreversible Electroporation (IRE) tumor ablation with the "NanoKnife," a non-thermal procedure to treat inoperable pancreatic carcinoma. The modality also holds promise for the treatment of other inoperable tumors including those of the head, neck, and brain.
B.A. Harvard University, 1974
M.D. New York Medical College, 1978
- Hepatic Metastases: Diagnosis and Management. Edited by DL Morris, CS McArdle, and Gary Onik. Heinemann, Oxford, England. 1996
- Percutaneous Prostate Cryoablation. Edited by Gary Onik, Boris Rubinsky, Graham Watson, and Richard Ablin. Quality Medical Publishing, St Louis, MO. 1995
- Prostate Cancer, A Patient’s Guide to Treatment. Arthur Centeno MD and Gary Onik MD Addicus Books 2004
- Male Lumpectomy. Focal Therapy for Prostate Cancer. 2nd Edition. Gary Onik MD and Karen Barrie. Authorhouse Books. 2007
- Onik GM, Cooper C, Goldberg HI, Moss AA, Rubinsky B, Christianson M. Ultrasonic characteristics of frozen liver. Cryobiology 1984;21:321-328.
- Onik GM, Gilbert J, Hoddick W, Filly R, Callen P, Rubinsky B. Sonographic monitoring of hepatic cryosurgery in an experimental animal model. American Journal of Roentgenology 1985;144:1043-1047.(Executive Council Award, American Roentgen Ray Society).
- Onik GM, Helms C, Ginsburg L, Hoaglund FT, Morris J. Percutaneous Lumbar Discectomy using a new aspiration probe. American Journal of Neuroradiology 1985;6:290-293 (Abstracted Yearbook of Neurology 1987).
- Onik GM, Kane R, Cady B, et al. Monitoring hepatic cryosurgery with sonography. American Journal of Roentgenology 1986;147:665-669 (Roscoe E. Miller Award, Society of Gastrointestinal Radiology).
- Onik GM, Maroon J, Shang Y. Far-lateral disc herniation: Treatment by automated percutaneous discectomy. American Journal of Neuroradiology 1990;11:865-868 (Abstracted in Year Book of Orthopedics,1991, Mosby Year Book, Inc., Chicago, IL).
- Onik G, Mooney V, Maroon JC. Automated percutaneous discectomy: A prospective multi-institutional study. Neurosurgery 1990;26:228-233 (Abstracted Key Neurology and Neurosurgery, the 1991 Year Book, Inc., Chicago, IL). (Abstracted 1991 Year Book of Diagnostic Radiology, Mosby Year Book, Inc., Chicago, IL).
- Onik GM, Narayan P, Vaughn D, et al. Nerve sparing cryosurgery for the treatment of primary prostate cancer: a new approach to preserving potency. Urology. 2002 Jul;60(1):109-14.
- Onik G, Mikus P, Rubinsky B.Irreversible electroporation: implications for prostate ablation. Technology in Cancer Research & Treatment. 2007 Aug;6(4):295-300.
- Onik G, Miessau M, Bostwick DG Three-dimensional prostate mapping biopsy has a potentially significant impact on prostate cancer management. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2009 Sep 10;27(26):4321-6. 2009 Aug 3.