Carnegie Mellon University’s Department of Mechanical Engineering invites applications for multiple tenure-track faculty positions. Initial appointments are anticipated to be made at the rank of Assistant Professor, but appointments at the ranks of Associate Professor or Full Professor may be available for candidates having commensurate experience. Information on the department is available at www.cmu.edu/me.
Faculty candidates must have an earned doctorate in mechanical engineering or a closely aligned field. Candidates are expected to demonstrate the ability to conduct research at the highest level and to have a record of, or the promise for, outstanding teaching and supervision of students.
The search committee will consider faculty candidates having interest and expertise across a wide variety of research areas related to mechanical engineering. Research areas in which there may be particular interest include:
- Controls applied to contemporary technologies, including energy or robotic systems
- Design or innovation theory, methods, and applications, including systems design
- Advanced manufacturing, including additive and micro/nano manufacturing
- Robotics, including bio-inspired, milli/micro-scale, and medical/surgical
- Synthesis, characterization, and modeling of materials for next-generation energy conversion technologies
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, contact information for at least three professional references, and a brief statement of no more than three pages that describes research and educational interests online at http://mechecarnegie.catsone.com/careers/. Applications should be submitted as a single .pdf document. Paper applications will not be accepted.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received until positions are filled. Carnegie Mellon University is an EEO/AA Employer, M/F/D/V.