August 12, 2002
Ed Horsey (Biological Sciences)
Tiffany Miles (Biological Sciences)
Justin Douglas (Chemistry)
Marc Fasnacht (Physics)
Renee Starek (Career Center)
Gregg Franklin (MCS Dean's Office)
Katya Malkin (MCS Dean's Office)
2000 GSAC Minutes Archive
2001 GSAC Minutes Archive
This year's minutes:
January 17, 2002
February 7, 2002
February 28, 2002
March 21, 2002
April 11, 2002
Tiffany Miles will be taking for Ed Horsey as a representative from Biological Sciences this fall.
Renee joined the meeting to get input from GSAC on her plans for the Career Event to be held on September 18.
Renee distributed three handouts:
- Local Panelists will receive parking passes for the Dithridge Street garage. They will also receive Carnegie
Mellon T-shirts and chocolates form the university shop.
- Posters advertising the event will be displayed near the elevators in Wean Hall (floors 5 - 8) and in Mellon
- An email invitation will be sent to graduate coordinators to pass along to their students and faculty members
on September 3. The event will not be promoted heavily to undergraduates, but if they show they will be welcome
- A reminder email will be sent to all MCS graduate students on Tuesday, September 17. Renee can send this to
Katya, who will make sure that it is distributed to students. The email invitation will include a reminder that
dress for the event is casual and that students should feel free to attend just to get information even if they
aren't currently looking for a job.
- Renee plans to contact Nancy Klancher who can distribute information about the event to students outside of
- GSAC members should promote the event in their departments and encourage other students to attend.
- We will no longer be using the MI Auditorium since the event has been scaled down. The panel discussion and
networking will be held in the Social and Conference Rooms.
GSAC members volunteered for the following tasks at the event:
- Suggested questions for the panelists, to be distributed at the event and to the panelists along with their
parking passes - also lists information about each panelist.
- Poster advertising the event.
- Remaining tasks for planning the event.
The out of town panelists are staying the Holiday Inn in Oakland. Ed and Justin also plan to meet with them at
12:00 on September 18 and take them to lunch.
- Greet attendees and hand out the list of questions - Mark and Justin
- Facilitate Panel discussion - Ed
- Present gifts to the panelists at the conclusion of the discussion - Tiffany
- Mingle at the networking social - Everyone