Dr. Abiraman Srinivasan
Carnegie Mellon University
4400 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213
- Doctor of Philosophy in Orthopedic Biomaterials, Biomedical Technology Wing, Sree Chitra Tirunal Institute for Medical Sciences and Technology (SCTIMST), 2002
- Masters of Philosophy (MPhil) in Endocrinology, Department of Endocrinology, Postgraduate Institute for Basic Medical Sciences, University of Madras, 1997
- Masters of Science in Zoology, University of Madras, 1995
- Bachelors of Science in Zoology, University of Madras, 1993
Develop research programs on using polymers synthesized using ATRP for Burn wound healing, Extremity Injuries and Cartilage damage in collaboration with faculties at University of Pittsburgh and Oregon State University.
- Preparation of cationic nanogels for nucleic acid delivery. Averick SE, Paredes E, Irastorza A, Shrivats AR, Srinivasan A, Siegwart DJ, Magenau AJ, Cho HY, Hsu E, Averick AA, Kim J, Liu S, Hollinger JO, Das SR, Matyjaszewski K. Biomacromolecules. 2012 Nov 12;13(11):3445-9.
- Synthesis of biocompatible PEG-based star polymers with cationic and degradable core for siRNA delivery. Cho HY*, Srinivasan A*, Hong J, Hsu E, Kwak D, Andrew Bohaty A, Paik HJ, Jeffrey Hollinger JO and Matyjaszewski K. Biomacromolecules. 2011 Oct10;12(10):3478-86.
- Synthesis, degradation and biocompatibility of tyrosine-derived polycarbonate scaffolds. Maria Hanshella R. Magno, Jinku Kim, Srinivasan A, Sean McBride, Durgadas Bolikal, Aniq Darr, Jeffrey O. Hollinger and Joachim Kohn. Journal of Materials Chemistry 2010 20: 8885-8893.
- Photo-cross-linkable thermoresponsive star polymers designed for control of cell-surface interactions. Park S, Cho HY, Yoon JA, Kwak Y, Srinivasan A, Hollinger JO, Paik HJ, Matyjaszewski K.Biomacromolecules. 2010 Oct 11;11(10):2647-52.
- Rapid cellular internalization of multifunctional star polymers prepared by atom transfer radical polymerization. Cho HY, Gao H, Srinivasan A, Hong J, Bencherif SA, Siegwart DJ, Paik HJ, Hollinger JO, Matyjaszewski K. Biomacromolecules. 2010 Sep 13;11(9):2199-203.
- Nanostructured hybrid hydrogels prepared by a combination of atom transfer radical polymerization and free radical polymerization. Bencherif SA, Siegwart DJ, Srinivasan A, Horkay F, Hollinger JO, Washburn NR, Matyjaszewski K. Biomaterials. 2009 Oct;30(29):5270-8.
- Cellular uptake of functional nanogels prepared by inverse miniemulsion ATRP with encapsulated proteins, carbohydrates, and gold nanoparticles. Siegwart DJ, Srinivasan A, Bencherif SA, Karunanidhi A, Oh JK, Vaidya S, Jin R, Hollinger JO, Matyjaszewski K. Biomacromolecules. 2009 Aug 10;10(8):2300-9.
- Cell-Adhesive Star Polymers Prepared by ATRP. Bencherif SA, Gao H, Srinivasan A, Siegwart DJ, Hollinger JO, Washburn NR, Matyjaszewski K. Biomacromolecules. 2009 Jun 11.
- End-group effects on the properties of PEG-co-PGA hydrogels. Bencherif SA, Srinivasan A, Sheehan JA, Walker LM, Gayathri C, Gil R, Hollinger JO, Matyjaszewski K, Washburn NR. Acta Biomater. 2009 Jul; 5(6):1872-83.
- Influence of the degree of methacrylation on hyaluronic acid hydrogels properties. Bencherif SA, Srinivasan A, Horkay F, Hollinger JO, Matyjaszewski K, Washburn NR. Biomaterials. 2008 Apr;29(12):1739-49.
- Synthesis, characterization, and in vitro cell culture viability of degradable poly(N-isopropylacrylamide-co-5,6-benzo-2-methylene-1,3-dioxepane)-based polymers and crosslinked gels. Siegwart DJ, Bencherif SA, Srinivasan A, Hollinger JO, Matyjaszewski K. J Biomed Mater Res A. 2008 Nov;87(2):345-58.
- Synthesis, mechanical properties, biocompatibility, and biodegradation of polyurethane networks from lysine polyisocyanates. Guelcher SA, Srinivasan A, Dumas JE, Didier JE, McBride S, Hollinger JO. Biomaterials. 2008 Apr;29(12):1762-75.
- Synthesis, in vitro degradation, and mechanical properties of two-component poly(ester urethane)urea scaffolds: effects of water and polyol composition. Guelcher S, Srinivasan A, Hafeman A, Gallagher K, Doctor J, Khetan S, McBride S, Hollinger J. Tissue Eng. 2007 Sep;13(9):2321-33.
- Anti-inflammatory effects of continuous passive motion on meniscal fibrocartilage. Ferretti M, Srinivasan A, Deschner J, Gassner R, Baliko F, Piesco N, Salter R, Agarwal S. J Orthop Res. 2005 Sep;23(5):1165-71.
- Fibrin glue as an osteoinductive protein in a mouse model. Srinivasan A, Varma HK, Umashankar PR, John A. Biomaterials. 2002 Jul;23(14):3023-31.
- Bone growth response with porous hydroxyapatite granules in a critical sized lapine tibial-defect model. John A, Srinivasan A, Varma HK, Kumari TV and Umashankar PR. Bulletin of Materials Science. 2002 April;25(2): 141-154.
- Preliminary in vitro and in vivo characterizations of a sol-gel derived bioactive glass-ceramic system. Srinivasan A, Varma HK, Kumari TV, Umashankar PR and John A. Bulletin of Materials Science. 2002 October;25(5): 419-429.
- Targeted Delivery of siRNA. J.O. Hollinger, K. Matyjaszewski and Abiraman Srinivasan. United States Patent Office Application #13/345,494, Published in January 2013
- In vitro Testing of Biomaterials. Kim J, Srinivasan A and Jeffrey O. Hollinger. In: An Introduction to Biomaterials. J.O. Hollinger and S.A. Guelcher, Eds. CRC Press. 2010.
- Bone Tissue Engineering: Growth Factors and Cytokines. Hollinger JO, Srinivasan A, Alvarez P, Hsu E, McBride S, Eppell S, Baskin J,Waters H and Gruber R. In Comprehensive Biomaterials. P. Ducheyne, K. Healy, D. Hutmacher and J. Krikpatrick, Eds. Elsevier. 2010.
Scientific Meetings and Abstracts
- H Cho, A Srinivasan, E Hsu, D Kwak, J Hong, A Bohaty, H Paik, J Hollinger and K Matyjaszewski. Poly(ethylene glycol) star polymers with cationic core for siRNA delivery prepared by atom transfer radical polymerization – American Chemical Society (ACS),Denver, Colarado, 2011.
- A Srinivasan, S Sriram, AC Watt, E Hsu, A Shrivats, HY Cho, K Matyjaszewski and JO Hollinger. Delivery of siRNA using cationic nanostructured star polymers to prevent myoblast cell differentiation to bone-TERMIS-NA, Orlando Florida, 2010.
- A Srinivasan, A Darr, E Hsu, T Alcoser, S McBride, C Shake, J Kohn and JO Hollinger. Biocompatibility and osteoconductivity of advanced tyrosine-derived polycarbonates- TERMIS-NA, Orlando Florida, 2010.
- B Bobber, E Shyr, J Leung, A Srinivasan, HY Cho, K Matyjaszewski and JO Hollinger. Delivery of siRNA using nanostructured star polymers to suppress Runt Related Transcription Factor 2 and Osterix in vitro- Society for Biomaterials, Seattle, Washington.
- J Hong, E Hsu, A Srinivasan, H Cho, HJ Paik, K Matyjaszewski, and JO Hollinger. Post-transcriptional gene silencing using siRNA delivered from Star Nanostructured Polymer – IBMS, Davos,2010.
- T Wolfgang, P Shaw, B Penna, B Zhu, A Srinivasan, H Cho, A Bohaty, HJ Paik, DJ Siegwart, JO Hollinger and K Matyjaszewski. siRNA Encapsulation and Delivery by Degradable Cationic STAR Nano-Polymers- Meeting of the Minds, CMU, May 2009.
- HY Cho, A Kelsch, A Srinivasan, H Gao, and HJ Paik. PEO Containing Cationic Star Polymers for siRNA Delivery-CRP consortium, CMU, 2009.
- SA Bencherif, A Srinivasan, A Jiang, JO Hollinger, K Matyjaszewski and NR Washburn. Bioresorbable hyaluronic acid hydrogels for tissue engineering applications. American Chemical Society Meeting, Philadelphia, 2008.
- A Srinivasan, S Vaidya, DJ Siegwart, G Papworth, SA Guelcher, K Matyjaszewski and JO Hollinger. Nanogel delivery from Poly(esterurethane urea) scaffolds. 8th World Biomaterial Congress, Amsterdam, 2008.
- DJ Siegwart, A Srinivasan, G Papworth, J Kwon, S Watkins and JO Hollinger. Preparation of RITC-dextran- and BSA-loaded POEOMA nanogels and verification of cell internalization via the endocytotic pathway using confocal imaging. 8th World Biomaterial Congress, Amsterdam, 2008.
- SA Bencherif, DJ Siegwart, A Srinivasan, JO Hollinger, K Matyjaszewski and NR Washburn. Nano-based hydrogel hybrids for tissue engineering applications. 8th World Biomaterial Congress, Amsterdam, 2008.
- SA Bencherif, DJ Siegwart, A Srinivasan, JO Hollinger, NR Washburn and K Matyjaszewski. Nanostructured hybrid hydrogels for tissue engineering and drug delivery applications. American Chemical Society meeting, Philadelphia, 2008.
Session Chair: 8th World Biomaterial Congress, Amsterdam, 2008.
Positions and Employment
- 1997-2002: Graduate Student and Senior Research Fellow, SCTIMST, Trivandrum, Kerala, India
- 2003: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, University of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- 2003-2005: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio, USA
- 2005-2008: Postdoctoral Research Associate, Bone Tissue Engineering Center, Biomedical Engineering Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- 2008-Present: Associate Scientist/ Engineer, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- 2012- 2013: R&D Director of nanoDERM Sciences Inc. Derwood, Maryland, Wshington DC, USA
- 2012- 2013: Visiting Research Scientist, McGowan Institute for Regenerative Medicine, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, US
Honors and Awards
- Lady Tata Memorial Trust Fellowship – 8/01-11/02
- Best paper of the year 2002, published in the Journal of Bulletin and Materials Science (Springer)
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Life member of Society for Biomaterials and Artificial Organs India (SBAOI)
- Life member of Society for Reproductive Biology and Comparative Endocrinology (SRBCE - India)
Editor and Manuscript Reviewing Experience
- Junior editor of American Journal Experts (AJE) (2011- 2012).
- Active reviewer for Journal of Biomedical Materials Research, Biomacromolecules, Tissue Engineering, Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, among others.
Have been Co-investigator in many federally funded research grants and to name a few:
- siRNA Delivery by Nanostructured Polymers to Prevent Heterotopic Ossification in Combat Polytrauma Defense Medical Research and Development Program (DMRDP) Applied Research and Advanced Technology Development Award – Extramural (PI: Jeffrey O. Hollinger).
- A Resorbable polyurethane/bone composite intramedullary rod for fracture fixation. DOD: Center for Military Biomaterials Research (CeMBR), (PI: Jeffrey O. Hollinger).
- Injectable Polymer-Growth Factor Composites to Enhance Fracture Healing. DOD: US Army Institute of Surgical Research (ISR) (PI: Jeffrey O. Hollinger).
- Improved Healing of Infected Segmental Bone Defects through Controlled Delivery of FGF-2, PDGF and Tobramycin. DOD: U.S. Army Institute of Surgical Research (Orthopedic Trauma Research Program) (PI: Scott A. Guelcher).
Teaching and Mentor Experience
- Mentored over 50 undergraduate students from CMU and other Universities and 5 graduate (PhD) students during July 2005 – October 2010.
- Mentored several undergraduate students as part of CMU’s Student Undergraduate Research Grant (SURG), since July 2005 to October 2010.
- Taught undergraduate students at CMU on “In vitro biocompatibility assessment of biomaterials using ISO and ASTM standards” for Bench to Bedside Process of Regenerative Therapeutics class of Prof. Jeffrey O. Hollinger, CMU, 2007-2009.
- Lectured on “Bone graft materials” to University of Pittsburgh Dental students for their Mineral Biology Course, 2009 organized by Prof. Bruce A. Doll.
Student Review Committee
Member of Undergraduate Student Advisory board for Health Professions Program, Carnegie Mellon University, for Dental and Medical Schools (2008 – 2010) and worked closely with Dr. Amy L. Burkert.