Carnegie Mellon University
If you suspect or have been notified that your government issued ID number may have been exposed, do the following:
Contact the government agency that issued the ID and follow their procedures to cancel a document and get a replacement.

Ask the agency to "flag" your file to keep anyone else from getting a license or another identification document in your name.

The sooner the number is changed, the lower the risk of fraudulent activity.
For steps you can take to reduce your risk of Identity Theft, see Protecting Yourself from Identity Theft.