BXA students are encouraged to complete an internship that will compliment their interdisciplinary goals. This on-the-job experience is very valuable, and can provide possible opportunities for employment after college.
52-590 BXA Internship, Fall, Spring, or Summer: 3,6,9,12 units
An internship is a supervised professional work experience with clear links to a student's academic goals. BXA students may choose to complete a BXA Internship for elective credit with appropriate individuals or organizations within or outside of Carnegie Mellon University. Junior and senior BXA students in good academic standing are eligible to receive academic credit for one internship. Grading is pass/no pass only. Prior to enrolling in an internship, the student must have a BXA Internship Agreement Form [PDF] signed by their site supervisor and approved by their BXA academic advisor.
For more information on how to register for the BXA Internship course, contact your BXA academic advisor.
BXA Internship Highlights
BCSA, Computer Science and Design
Design Intern, Artsy
Artsy is an arts technology startup that touches a little bit of everything in the art world. I knew very little about the art world on a historical, cultural, and commercial level before I started, so I’ve been spending lots of time talking to people at Artsy who are enthusiastic and devoted and experienced in the art world. It’s fascinating to dip into an entirely new context and begin to identify what makes people fall in love with art, and what kind of art I find most compelling.
Everyone at Artsy is incredibly welcoming, and very eager to talk about their role on the digital marketing team, art genome team, gallery relations team…it’s very cool to see the work that happens outside of design and engineering, and feel connected to everyone’s work and goals.
My summer has been 100% iOS design work (which I was introduced to during my internship last summer). I spent my first month redesigning the artist information views on the app, which let you learn about an artist and their works. I initially assumed this would be a more straightforward visual design exercise, but it produced some interesting problems...read more.
A selected list of places where BXA students have interned in the last few years:
- ABC News, Washington, D.C.
- ACLU, Pittsburgh, PA
- Andy Warhol Museum, Pittsburgh, PA
- Carnegie Museum of Art, Pittsburgh, PA
- Carnegie Museum of Natural History, Pittsburgh, PA
- Center for Digital Storytelling, Berkeley, CA
- Channel Nine (Promotions), Australia
- CinePartners Entertainment, Los Angeles, CA
- Dateline NBC, New York, NY
- Future Media Concepts, New York, NY
- Grosso-Jacobson Production Company, New York, NY
- Heinz History Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- Interlochen Art Camp, Interlochen, MI
- KDKA-TV, Pittsburgh, PA
- Kenneth Cole Productions
- Kiwibox.com (online teen website, Editorial & Promotions)
- Lefrak Productions, New York, NY
- Marilyn G. Rabb Foundation, Pittsburgh, PA
- Mattress Factory, Pittsburgh, PA
- Morgan Contemporary Glass Gallery, Pittsburgh, PA
- National Council of Women's Organizations, Washington, D.C.
- Pittsburgh CLO, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pittsburgh Contemporary Writers Series, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pittsburgh Film Office, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pittsburgh Filmmakers, Pittsburgh, PA
- Pittsburgh Glass Center, Pittsburgh, PA
- QUADRE (french horn quartet and non-profit organization), Mountain View, CA
- Sampsonia Way Magazine, Pittsburgh, PA
- SEVENTEEN Magazine, New York, NY
- SilverTree Media, Pittsburgh, PA
- Smithsonian Center for Education & Museum Studies, Washington, D.C.
- Society for Contemporary Craft, Pittsburgh, PA
- Sony (Urban A&R Department), New York, NY
- Sound Management/Spunout Records, San Francisco, CA
- Squonk Opera, Pittsburgh, PA
- US Magazine (Advertising Department, Wenner Media)
- Wolf Trap Opera Company, Vienna, VA
- WQED, Pittsburgh, PA