The Bachelor of Humanities and Arts (BHA) degree has three main curricular components:
1) BHA General Education (Gen Ed)
The BHA General Education curriculum is a modified version of the DC General Education program. In addition, students are required to fulfill a freshman research seminar requirement, a junior seminar requirement, a junior portfolio review, a senior capstone project, and a computing skills workshop.
1. Communicating: Language and Interpretations (3 courses)
2. Reflecting: Societies and Cultures (1 course)
3. Modeling: Mathematics and Experiments (1 course)
4. Deciding: Social Sciences and Values (3 courses)
5. BXA Freshman Research Seminar (1 course)
6. BXA Junior Seminar (1 course)
7. BXA Junior Portfolio Review (1 review)
8. BXA Capstone Project (2 courses)
9. University Requirement: Computing @ Carnegie Mellon (1 mini-course)
BHA Gen Ed course requirements [PDF]
2) College of Fine Arts (CFA) Concentration
Students choose their fine arts concentration from among the five schools in CFA: Architecture, Art, Design, Drama, or Music. A student must meet entry requirements for the specific CFA school of their choice. While in the BHA Program, a student may change their CFA concentration only if they pass all admission requirements for that particular CFA school.
CFA concentration course requirements [PDF]:
Architecture | Art
| Design | Drama
3) Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences (DC) Concentration
Students choose their humanities or social/behavioral concentration from the list of majors and minors offered by DC. Areas of concentration are selected from the following departments: Economics, English, History, Interdepartmental Studies, Modern Languages, Philosophy, Psychology, Social and Decision Sciences, Statistics.
Please consult with the BHA advisor to determine the most appropriate DC concentration [PDF].
The DC Concentration Declaration sheet [PDF] should be submitted
by the end of the sophomore year. For DC concentrations listed, please refer to the appropriate concentration curriculum sheet available from the BHA advisor. For concentrations not listed, the DC Concentration Curriculum sheet [PDF] must be filled out in consultation with the DC faculty advisor.
BHA DEGREE REQUIREMENTS
|BHA General Education
|+ 78 units