The Information Systems Student Advisory Council (IS SAC)
The mission of the Information Systems Student Advisory Council (IS SAC) is to provide a communication link and promote activity between the IS student body and the Program’s faculty, staff and administration.
The primary functions of the council include:
- Promote communication between the IS students, faculty, staff and administration
- Organize various IS student-centered events and programs
- Disseminate information regarding relevant topics and events in the IS Program
- Provide feedback and insight into community and academic issues
- Create a vehicle for IS student representation on various campus committees
- Promote a positive IS community image on campus
2012-2013 IS SAC Representatives
The SAC is comprised of a small group of IS students across all levels of the program. Each academic year, the IS faculty selects the council; these selections will be based on a student’s academic background, leadership potential and commitment to the program.
The IS SAC meets monthly during the academic year. Students are encouraged to contact their respective SAC representatives if they have concerns or questions about undergraduate issues.
Events and Programs
The IS SAC organizes outside events (both professional and social in nature) and arranges seminars with faculty members and outside speakers.
Ask Anything is an biannual event held each semester during registration week. At the event, IS seniors informally network with IS underclassmen to help answer their questions -- anything ranging from the best classes to take, additional majors and minors to pursue, and how to make the most of the opportunities on campus.
The mentoring program pairs incoming IS freshmen with upperclassmen. Mentoring groups meet about once a month to talk about things like classes, jobs, internships or just life at and after CMU. The IS SAC plans, organizes and manages the mentoring program.
Tech Talks and Invited Speakers
The IS SAC holds regular tech talks and invited speakers. In the spring of 2013, the IS SAC sponsored a tech talk by Zach Holman from GitHub, (a CMU IS alum from the class of 2008) entitled ‘Doing Things to Computers.’
Other Events and Programs
- Alumni speakers, industry leader talks and networking events
- Case competitions and hackathons
- Incoming student recruitment activities
- Halloween party and carnival block party
- Representation at campus engagement day
- Sponsors of the IS senior gift