Building Access-The HUB - ID Card Services - Carnegie Mellon University

Campus Buildings, Departmental Spaces & Dorm Rooms

Many of the buildings around campus have access control readers on the exterior doors of the building to secure the building after hours and on weekends. By default and as members of the campus community, all cardholders including faculty, staff, students, and affiliates have access to these buildings. For issues regarding building access, contact The HUB. Buildings that have ID Card access control on their exterior are:

  • University Center
  • Cyert Hall
  • Doherty Hall
  • Newell-Simon Hall
  • 311 S. Craig
  • Wean Hall
  • Porter Hall
  • Baker Hall
  • Hamburg Hall
  • West Wing Computer Cluster

Departmental Controlled Access 

The following is a list of spaces in and around campus that are controlled by individual departments. To access these spaces, contact the department to request authorization. 

 Department  Contact  Space

School of Computer Science

Jim Skees/Paul Stockhausen

Interior doors in Newell-Simon Hall, 2nd floor 300 S. Craig, 407 S. Craig, 417 S. Craig

Chemical Engineering

Justin Dawber

DH  A226, DH 2103

Pitt. Super Computing Center

Erica Anderson

300 S. Craig 3-4 Floors

School of Music

Rich Kawood

CFA Music Labs


Georgene Wittig

DH Chemistry Labs

Tepper School of Business

Kathleen Forsythe

Posner and GSIA

Mellon College of Science

MCS Deans Office

Mellon Institute

Civil and Environmental Engineering

Curt Yeske

Porter Hall CEE Wing


 Jim Jarrett

Intelligent Workplace

Computing Services

 Sissy Anderson

311 S. Craig

Campus Housing Access

The majority of residential buildings on campus have electronic locks on them. For first year students, room access will be automatically encoded onto the ID Card. Returning students may visit The HUB, Housing & Dining Services in Morewood Gardens, or one of many self service kiosks located around campus to have their ID Card updated for room access. Campus housing access questions may be directed to Housing & Dining Services at or 412-268-2139.

Access Hardware Malfunctions

Hardware malfunctions such as doors not closing or locking properly or card readers that fail to read immediately should be reported so that they can be repaired and continue to maintain the security.  Problems can be reported by calling Facilities Management Services at 412-268-2910.