Advanced Placement & Transfer Credit-The HUB - Carnegie Mellon University

Advanced Placement (AP) & International Baccalaureate Credit (IB) 

Carnegie Mellon may grant advanced placement and credit for scores of four and five on exams taken in the CEEB Advanced Placement program. When the test is taken, students should be sure to request that the results be sent to Carnegie Mellon. International students will only be given credit for scores on Higher Level (HL) exams of six or seven. The 2016-2017 academic year will be awarded according to the below AP and IB guidelines:

Transfer Credit

If a students want to take courses at other schools over the summer or during a leave of absence, they can often be awarded transfer credit at Carnegie Mellon. This credit can satisfy requirements here and count toward graduation. It's a good idea to determine how credit will count before spending time and money on the course. Students should make an appointment with their advisor and take the following information:

  • Name of the college or university student will attend.
  • The school's course number and title for the considered class(es).
  • The course description for each class - a paragraph from their course catalog or website is fine.
  • The name and number of the Carnegie Mellon course student would like this to substitute.

The student's advisor can advise whether the courses will transfer in and how those courses will look on the Carnegie Mellon transcript. Transfer credits will only record the units/credits earned not the grade, unless the course is taken at one of the PCHE affiliates. For more information on transfer credits, visit the University Policies website.