Incoming Cross-Registration (PCHE)-The HUB - Carnegie Mellon University

Incoming Cross-Registration (PCHE)

If a student is a full-time undergraduate or graduate student attending one of the ten Pittsburgh Council of Higher Education (PCHE) institutions, they are eligible to cross-register at Carnegie Mellon. An incoming cross-registration student will not be charged any additional tuition charges; however special course or laboratory fees must be paid if necessary. Student status will not be acquired, but the student will have library and bookstore privileges. Cross-registration applies to fall and spring semesters only.


  1. The cross-registration form must have the following required information: Course number, title, section and units/credits, as well as home advisor, home dean and home registrar signature. If any of this information is missing, the form will be returned to the home institution.
  2. If the student is enrolled in an approved joint program between their home institution and Carnegie Mellon, they are exempt from the requirement of being full-time at either school. This information must be indicated on the top of the cross-registration form at the time the form is submitted to the home registrar.
  3. If the student wishes to take more than one course and is not in a joint program, a letter of approval from the dean of the home institution must accompany the cross-registration form.
  4. The University Registrar's Office will check the course availability from the PCHE form.
    • If the course is available, the University Registrar's Office will enter the student's information into the Student Information System and e-mail a confirmation to the student as well as notify the home institution. Should the course not appear on the home institution schedule, the student should contact their home institution for resolution.
    • If the course the student wishes to take is waitlisted or not available, the University Registrar's Office will send an e-mail. If this happens, the student should understand that they are not permitted to attend class.
  5. If the student chooses to audit a class, they must submit the Course Audit Approval (.pdf) form to the University Registrar's Office within the first 10 days of class.
  6. If students choose to take a class as pass/fail, they must submit the Pass/Fail Approval (.pdf)  form to the University Registrar's Office by the deadline (Academic Calendar).
  7. If the student selects a class which requires access to Blackboard, the Course Management System, it may take up to two weeks to gain access unless the student already has a Andrew User ID. Find an Andrew User ID.

Questions about Blackboard, should be directed to the Office of Technical Education at 412-268-5503. The student may also want to inform the professor and request that they be manually enrolled on the course Blackboard site.

  1. A building access card may be issued for those who need access to a specific academic building that requires card access. Direct access card questions to ID Card Services in The HUB at 412 268-5224.
  2. If the student wishes to drop a cross-registration course, this can be done via Student Information Online (SIO) or by notifying the appropriate IDS team member and we will take the appropriate action to notify the home institution.
  3. The University Registrar's Office will report grades to the appropriate office of the home institution after the Carnegie Mellon final grade submission deadline. PCHE institutions do not report mid-term grades.
  4. Our cross-registration processing is alphabetical based on the student's last name. Please contact Debra D. James at if assistance is needed.