Visiting/Non-Degree Students-The HUB - Carnegie Mellon University

Visiting/Non-Degree Students


A visiting/non-degree (VND) student attends classes at Carnegie Mellon University, but has not been admitted into a specific degree program. Visiting students may take courses as a non-degree student for three fall/spring semesters. After three semesters, students must be admitted into a degree program in order to continue taking courses. The following are exempt from this limitation: high school students; Carnegie Mellon staff, faculty and retirees. There is no limit on the number of summer sessions a visiting student might take coursework. There is a one-time, non-refundable $25 processing fee that will be charged to your student account; however, Carnegie Mellon faculty, staff and retirees are exempt from this fee.

Those wishing to take non-degree courses should follow these steps:

  1. Read the Visiting/Non-Degree Student Guide.
  2. Complete the Visiting/Non-Degree Student Petition. This petition must be completed in its entirety each semester a VND student wishes to enroll.
  3. Return the petition and applicable college transcripts to The HUB. The HUB is located in the lower level of Warner Hall. Petitions and transcripts can also be sent as email attachments to the visiting/non-degree student advisor, Amy YearwoodThe petition must be received two weeks before the first day of the semester for which you wish to enroll.
  4. Receive Andrew UserID and Student ID number. Once the petition has been processed, the student will receive emailed instructions on how to find their Andrew UserID and Student ID number.

Course Registration

Students can register using these 4 easy steps. VND students do not have specific start times and can register any time after 6 a.m. on the Friday of registration week. Here are some helpful registration tips:

  • Look over the Schedule of Classes to find courses of interest.
  • If you find that a course has a pre-requisite or is restricted to degree-seeking students, contact the instructor directly to request permission to enroll. If permission is granted, forward the message to the visiting/non-degree advisor who will register you for the course. 
  • If there are no restrictions, register for the course by logging into Student Information Online (SIO)
  • Once registered, if you would like to take the course as a pass/no pass or if you would prefer to audit, submit the appropriate request form by the date listed on the Academic Calendar. Otherwise, you will receive a letter grade for the course. 

Visiting students receive college credit and can request a transcript from the University Registrar's Office. Learn more about requesting transcripts

Course Drops/Tuition Adjustments

If you decide to drop a course, you must to do so before the course add/drop deadline to automatically receive a full tuition adjustment for that course. If you decide to drop a course later in the semester, you must do so by the drop deadline for full semester courses or by the mini-course deadline depending on which courses you are taking (refer to the Academic Calendar for dates). Courses dropped after the course drop deadline are not refunded unless a tuition adjustment request is approved.

View visiting/non-degree tuition rates for the semester you wish to enroll. Faculty and staff should visit the HR website to review their eligibility and learn how to apply for tuition benefits.

Distance Education, State Authorization and Reciprocity Agreement (SARA)

Carnegie Mellon is an approved State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement (SARA) institution. SARA is an agreement among member states, districts and territories in the United States, which establishes national standards for interstate offering of postsecondary distance education courses and programs. Read more