Leave of Absence & Withdrawal-The HUB - Carnegie Mellon University

Leave of Absence & Withdrawal

Students must sometimes interrupt their studies for a variety of reasons (financial, academic, or personal).  Students choosing to take a leave of absence should first contact their academic advisor to discuss their plans while on leave and to work out any conditions that may be necessary for a smooth return to Carnegie Mellon.

A student may leave Carnegie Mellon by either taking a leave of absence (leaving the university temporarily with the firm and stated intention of returning) or by withdrawing from the university (leaving the university with no intention of returning).

Leave of Absence/Withdrawal Process

  • Complete a Leave of Absence (.pdf) or Withdrawal (.pdf) form.
  • The form must include all necessary signatures or the process will not be completed.
  • Return the completed form to the University Registrar's Office, 5000 Forbes Ave., Warner Hall A12, Pittsburgh, PA 15213.

View the university's Student Leave Policy.

Returning from Leave of Absence    

Students on leave wishing to return to Carnegie Mellon to resume their degree studies must complete the following process:

  • In order to be considered for return from leave, a student must complete a Return from Leave of Absence (.pdf) form.
  • Students must clear all financial and community holds before they are eligible to enroll.
  • The form must include all necessary signatures or the process will not be completed.
  • Return the completed form to the University Registrar's Office, 5000 Forbes Ave., Warner Hall A12, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, and to the student's department at least one month prior to the beginning of the semester. 

Undergraduate students may return within their same academic department within two years.  After two years, students returning in the same academic departments are subject to space constraints and an academic performance review.  Graduate students must negotiate their return with their home department and must follow their department policy.

In order to make the transition back into campus life as smooth as possible, we have compiled some helpful information and resources.

View the university's Return from Leave Policy.

Academic Support

In addition to your academic advisors, there are valuable academic resources available to assist you with a successful transition back to academic life at Carnegie Mellon.

  • CMARC - An advising and information center that assists students and connects them to appropriate communities, services and opportunities by providing academic planning and one-on-one counsel.
  • Academic Development - Offers a wide variety of academic support services including study strategies, peer tutoring, supplemental instruction, and collaborative learning groups.
  • Academic Advisors

Tuition Adjustment Policy & Schedules

Students who withdraw or take a leave of absence before completing 60% of the semester will be charged tuition based on the number of days completed within the semester. See Tuition Adjustments.

Fee Assessment

There is no adjustment of the media fee, port authority fee, technology fee or student activity fee.

Health Assessment

Students needing an adjustment to the health assessment fee must contact Student Health Services.

Housing & Dining

Housing charges are adjusted daily, beginning on check-in day and ending on the last day of final exams for the semester. Holiday breaks are included. The Winter Break period is not included. Meal plan charges are adjusted weekly. Plaid Ca$h is assessed based upon actual use.

Financial Aid Adjustment

Federal and institutional financial aid is adjusted on the same basis as tuition. A student earns 100% of his or her federal or institutional financial aid when 60% of the semester is completed. State grants and non-federal outside scholarships are adjusted based upon the withdrawal policy of the agency awarding the funds. Questions? Contact The HUB.

Access to Campus Services

Students on leave are not permitted to live in university housing, attend classes or maintain employment as students at Carnegie Mellon while their leave is in effect.